• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternative practice balls...the question now is: Why Wait ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only update I have at the moment is that I was able to locate and order some solid rubber no-bounce balls that looked like that'd be a good fit for the .45 & .50cals...they were $70 / 1000 + shipping, 1000 minimum order, so that's what I got...if they test out fine I figured some folks might want some to run some tests as well. (just at my cost like splitting a case of Goex)

1000 .500"
Average mic range is .491"-.495"...and they'll compress a few thousandths if need be, so they should be excellent for the .50cal which is probably our most common caliber of course.

1000 .437"
Disappointed that the average mic range is .428"-.430"...almost .010" smaller than advertised and that's an awful lot of windage to make up in a .450" bore...probably going to send them back in trade for another 1000 .50cal or another caliber size if they have them.

But right now its turkey season and I have no time to go to the range to run any tests...if I'm off, I'm turkey hunting...so it'll be out in May before I can start shooting again (unless I get lucky and punch both tags quickly) and I'll post results when I do of course.

Does anyone make Brass Balls? Barnes has made a fortune selling solid brass bullets.

My friend told me that he watched a program where they were shooting a Hog with a Muzzleloader and not penetrating the shield (shoulder). I told him to use a ball bearing it would not flatten and should penetrate unless it shattered. He seemed to think I was full of **** go figure.

Swede50 said:
Does anyone make Brass Balls? Barnes has made a fortune selling solid brass bullets.

My friend told me that he watched a program where they were shooting a Hog with a Muzzleloader and not penetrating the shield (shoulder). I told him to use a ball bearing it would not flatten and should penetrate unless it shattered. He seemed to think I was full of **** go figure.

Ive wondered the same...I think there is a market there IF lead goes away. Hows about a .50 cal ball desiged to split 3 ways like the black tallon did?

RB cant wait to get the range report on the hard rubber .50 cal's. :)

If I don't make smoke on a turkey soon, I might be going back to the range sooner than I planned
:grin:

whitebear said:
I'm not going to say it but when I read this I thought "now I HAVE heard everything"
I'm guessing not...you probably haven't seen all the threads about tests using wax projectiles, then marbles, etc. :grin:

Just FYI, turns out that common 9/16" solid marbles fit a .58cal perfectly and are extremely accurate...as are the .40cal rubber balls I located.

So we've got the .40cal & .58cal covered, and I've just found .50cal rubber balls for the next test.

NOTE:
You could make (or buy) a simple bullet trap and with 20grns powder shoot them in your garage, back yard, at the range...get a couple hundred of these, and reuse them over and over...if / when lead should ever become cost prohibitive or banned outright, it might be nice to already know of some existing alternatives that will at least work fine for low cost, close range practice
:thumbsup:

This is an interesting discussion that I just stumbled upon...

Have you yet found a rubber ball source that will work for .54 cal?

kragluver said:
This is an interesting discussion that I just stumbled upon...

Have you yet found a rubber ball source that will work for .54 cal?

The same company that makes the .50cals I just got to test make one that is advertised at .528"...should be ideal for a .54cal. But I get the impression that their commercial line of rubber balls may be on the wane and they don't happen to have any of the .528's made up in stock...said something like if they had to crank up and make a run the price would be something ridiculous like .41 cents a ball or something.

But I'm still gently trying to work with the rep as I'm not 100% confident she has it right but could be...right now she's having to eat the UPS return shipping on 1000 .438" that would have been fine in a .45cal, because about half of them mic'ed undersize at .42x", not the .438" +/- .004 they were advertised as. Once that transaction has finalized, calmed down, and I get my $70 back, I'll wait a bit then get in touch with her again.

I have 2000 .500" which average mic .491-.495 so they'll be perfect for a .50cal and if anybody wants to split any of them and run some tests as well, send me a PM.

Where are you getting the balls from. I was wondering if they will ship to Canada.

Well, these are businesses so I assume they'd ship worldwide...which caliber were you interested in, .40 or .50?

.50 is what I have. I was checking locally for glass balls. Could not find anything that would fit .50. I would have to order them in from USA. I like the idea of being able to recover/reuse a rubber round. Makes it easier to shoot behind the house. No neighbors so it is safe.

I had no luck finding marbles to fit a .45 or .50cal either...just the larger sizes like for the .58 & .62cal.

Back