• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Altitude and accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Altitude and accuracy for hunting in different states....
Just like gold balls fly higher in higher altitudes, so that same for round patch balls or not?
So what could a hunter expect at say... 800 ft

Im in NW MO.
58 cal hawken style flint, GM barrel.

With any of the "lofty heights" encountered when hunting, altitude isn't even a factor asre ballistics. My Mlers are sighted in at an elevation of 500 ft above sea level, but we elk hunt at 10,500 to 11,000 ft above sea level and no difference is noticed when practice shots are fired in camp.....Fred

Hawken Dan said:
Hi,

1-1/2" at 50 yards. :wink:

Are you saying an 800 ft change in elevation? I can do that in an afternoon walk hereabouts and I do not compensate. I'd be much more concerned over high declination or inclination shots in steep terrain.

In my experience, the biggest changes come in going from sea level to 10,000+ feet. My sights get awfully wheezy, and the gun just doesn't want to shoot as straight! :rotf:

Seriously, I see changes in my body's performance when the air gets thin as the biggest affect on accuracy.

Stumpkiller said:
Hawken Dan said:
Hi,

1-1/2" at 50 yards. :wink:

Are you saying an 800 ft change in elevation? I can do that in an afternoon walk hereabouts and I do not compensate. I'd be much more concerned over high declination or inclination shots in steep terrain.

+1 on that. Shooting uphill or downhill will mess with your POI also your heartbeat will move the shot around more than a change in elevation will.

You would have to have some seriously accurate scientific instruments to measure changes in burn rates of powder between sea level and about any altitude a human can survive at.
My house sits at 6000, if I go 10 miles as the crow flies I can gain another couple thousand, a little further and it gets steep.
Guns shoot the same where ever I've been.
High altitude effect on powder could serve as an excuse for missing that elk standing there 25 yards away I guess. :rotf:

Technically there is probably a little less air resistance at 8 or 10 thousand feet than at sea level or there bouts. Inside 100 yards and using open sights, I doubt that there is any practical difference.

TC

Altitude and accuracy for hunting in different states....
Just like gold balls fly higher in higher altitudes, so that same for round patch balls or not?

Using PointBlank I come up with the following;

With your .54 sighted in to dead on at 100 yards The difference in the rise of the ball at 50 yards is .04 inch. :shocked2: The diff between sea level and 10,500 feet is a whole .50 inch.

It will vary with velocity of course.

I sight in at 5,500 feet and hunt at anywhere from 4,000 to 11,500. No way I can observe any differences in the real world!

Latest posts

Back