• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I nuts???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishdog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building my first rifle from scratch, I have to be nuts. This is by far the most complex thing I have ever done. I work with tools for a living and have plenty of time in metal and wood working. Each part takes hours for me to get "just right". After this a kit looks easy.
Just wanted to vent.
Scott

You'll probably be one of the many NUTS who will eventually have a very nice gun. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hmmmm, does that make you a nut with a gun? :rotf:

Hang in there Fishdog. When you feel like rushing it, go out and do something else. It sounds like you are taking your time and that is a good thing to do. It will be worth every second when finished. Keep 'em sharp,
Don

Not to worry, your first one will give you the confidence for your next project. On it, you will make different mistakes, as well as find new ways to remake many of the old mistakes. :rotf:

Don't ask me how I know. :(

You said a mouth full. I took an hour to make a template for my lock plate, and still cut it in too big!?!? Now I have gaps of .008 in it. What can I do about that?
TANSTAAFL said:
Not to worry, your first one will give you the confidence for your next project. On it, you will make different mistakes, as well as find new ways to remake many of the old mistakes. :rotf:

Don't ask me how I know. :(

Good luck I could not carve a 2x4. Most gun maker take over a year to complete a gun for others.

Take pic when you get done. :v

"Now I have gaps of .008 in it...."

Don't worry too much about it right now.

When you finally get to oiling the stocks wood it will swill some. It may not be enough to remove all of the gap but I bet at least .003 of it will disappear leaving maybe .005? That is about 2 1/2 thicknesses of paper.

If you apply a finish that hardens, coat the oversize surfaces with some finish. After a few coats, your lock will be down to .002 clearance which is less than a human hair. No one will be able to even see it.

Oil finsh and heat box will shrink it up :thumbsup: Sounds like your having fun :grin:

Hang in there, you're among friends. Don't be afraid to ask questions when yer stuck or want a confidence booster. What type are you building, and is it precarved or are you starting with a slab, and do you have any building books. Bill

It`s a half stock, 45 cal. The barrel is going to be pinned kind of like they made in Ohio. The stock is from a blank of Maple. I have How to build an American Rifle and it is very helpful. The book said cutting the barrel in was the hardest part, I think the lock and butt plate are harder to get right.
Thanks for the good words guys.
Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Hang in there, you're among friends. Don't be afraid to ask questions when yer stuck or want a confidence booster. What type are you building, and is it precarved or are you starting with a slab, and do you have any building books. Bill

It's the journey that counts!
There is no hurry, take it slow, and be precise.
Study you pictures and model if you have access to one. Try not to use power tools, other than a power drill to drill holes. Sanders and grinders don't work.
Track of the Wolf has a great book " The Gunsmith of Grenville County " detailed pictures and illustrations, to get you through the tight spots.
Keep you chisels and carving knives sharp and you won't be prying wood out. That is where, one messes up. Small cracks and chips missing.
A gun from scratch for the first is quite a challange. Best Regards. :v
Old Ford

Fishdog,
I bought a South Mountain kit from TOW. I have had it about two months and am just getting around to inletting parts. It took me a week to get the curved Tennessee butplate to fit like I wanted. Every time I have to carve or drill metal or wood I am apprehensive because I think I will mess it up, but I figure I have to learn somehow. I have already had to order a replacement frizzen spring for the Siler lock because I broke mine dissasembling the lock. I too have the book "Recreating the American Longrifle" and it is well worth the cost. I read each chapter before beginning work on that part of the gun. Good Luck with yours.
Gene

Fishdog
Don't be afraid to ask before you start a piece to be put in. There is no race. This is to be r&r time. One of your biggest friends will be scrapers. In fact just made a new one for myself in the shape of the bottom half of a barrel barrel. Hope to post pictures of it today.
David

Well, "nuts" is really a pretty relative term, when all is said and done. The little 'dings and woopsies' will fade in time, and you will get better at it with each passing project. (You probably thought that you'd build this one piece?? WRONG!)

Sneak up on the finer fit and finish stuff.

Don't work on it if you somehow feel obligated to do so- this is for fun, after all.

So what if it takes a long time to finish- it's not a race.

I've got one in my basement that's been under construction for almost sixteen months. A learning experience, and a daunting one at that.

Good luck!

MSW

Back