• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I nuts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I dont think my grandfather would approve of me about now. He always told me "never by a firearm unless its gonna pay for itself", and then he would go about telling about how much a squirrel is worth, and a rabbit, and a deer and on and on. I traded for this unfired Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading 20 gauge fowler made and signed by Matt Avance for nothing more than pride of ownership.

img_0450.jpg

img_0451.jpg

img_0452.jpg

img_0453.jpg

img_0454.jpg

I have never shot or used it, but still it is one of my favorite. I wonder why that is? I find satisfaction in just holding and looking at it.

Any of you have a favorite you bought for just the sol purpose of pride? Am I nuts? Is there help for me?

Joe

The difference between a man and a boy is the cost of his toy.

I dont see no problem at all, I like to have em just to caress, its sorta like havin a mistress that momma dont pay no attention to.......

well, there are many who would argue ad naseum over the relative merit of utility.

if you don't believe that there's merit in having a thing just for the pleasure of having a thing, there's a better than fair chance that you need at least one really nice thing which has no real practical value.

then you might get another thing that has no real practical value, then you might learn to enjoy yourself a little bit.

so- go for it! THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH WANTING/HAVING A THING JUST FOR ITS OWN SAKE!

That's a nice gun that deserves to be taken out and used. Fine ya' a good round ball load and go deer hunting. Work up a good shot load and go get a few rabbits or a turkey. While it is fun to own and hold a gun it's even more fun to actually hunt with and take game with it. Go a head and go for the whole 9 yards and get out and do some hunting with that beautiful gun. :thumbsup:

Simply, Yes yer nuts, for not having taken it out and shot it for pattern, and roundball load, yet. If after that you just clean it and don't fire it again, at least ya christened it. Shoot it Joe, Shoot it!!!!!

I've bought military surplus rifles "just to have" but never a muzzleloader. But I can totally understand doing it! :thumbsup:

Joe there is no help for me LOL. I'm not a gun collector I'm a gun accumulator, I buy a gun just because I think its neat. I love them all and I have shot most of them. Just have fun with them.
Life is short enjoy it. I wish you the best.

That can understood by me, I have several toys that has never been shoot and I do the same thing look and enjoy. I have pocket watches back to 1857, that I look and enjoy. My wife said nice to look at and pretty to hold. May be we all are the connisuers of fine guns,etc.. You can count me in that AM I Nuts club also. :grin:

Joe, there is beauty in form, and beauty in function. Owning a beautiful gun just to look and admire it is ok by me.

i understand! i've a few safe queens that i own just because i felt i needed too. don't need to shoot them, ownership is enough. take them out and admire them, clean 'em and put them back. crazy - yes i am. :hmm:

I'd say shoot it but I really am nuts so my opinion doesn't count for much :youcrazy: :grin:

I say shoot her :grin:
It was built to be used, but it is yours and if you just want to hold her and admire her that's your business.

It was made to be shot. Pretty or not, it doesnt matter--I am reminded of a story: In the early 80s I was at the Tulsa gunshow and saw a gorgeous Parker double with a price tag of $5000. I said to the dealer, "If I had it I would be afraid to carry it afield and shoot it". He said, "If you were married to Marilyn Monroe, would you sleep with her?" Good point, but I couldn't afford the gun anyway....

Joe Yanta said:
I dont think my grandfather would approve of me about now. He always told me "never by a firearm unless its gonna pay for itself"

That was a different era, times have changed, ways of thinking have changed...

He was obviously raised in or close to the great depression era (1929 to 1940), money and food were very hard to come by, that was a normal way of thinking back then...

i bet if the truth be known there is not a person on this forum that has not at one time or another bought a firearm simpley because you liked the way it looked ,and not with a paticuler use in mind. :hmm: :hmm:

Are you nuts? Yep, everybodys nuts, and some are more nutty than others.

That said, that's a nice gun. Take it out and shoot the daylights out of it. It will more than pay for itself in the pleasure you will recieve from fondling, shooting, hunting, cleaning, and just admiring it.

Some of the best days of my life have been on the range and in the woods with good friends and good guns.
J.D.

Latest posts

Back