• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I nuts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joe, I bought the same gun last year as my first flint gun. I took it out a lot, shot some tree rats and a couple of pheasants with it. I pick it up and caress it often, but carry it in the woods and you really will fall in love!

Fellers I dont think we can compare the fairer sex with guns. I know how some of ye out thar would choose ifn ye had to choose between the two of 'em tho. But, I never seen a good shootin gun cook breakfast nor have I ever danced with gun at a shindig.

I have many good "meat maker" guns. You have to admit not all dogs will hunt. And those that dont still are still all right to have around.

The other thing that I really admire is honest dings, patina and true character in a gun. If you're ever in Chadron Nebraska you can see a bunch of character guns there in the Museum of the fur trade. Any one of those guns would look good in a mans lodge.

Musketman: My grandfather was born in 1898, fought in France with a shotgun. He was truely a fine man who depended nearly entirely on nature to provide sustenance for his family. I lived with him for 3 great years and he taught me alot. I will always miss him.

Joe

Joe, I think that gun is yours, and you oughtta do exactly what you want to do with YOUR gun! :grin:
My dear ole Grandpa lived all his life pinching pennies, and I don't think he ever bought anything he didn't have a definite NEED for. He died at the ripe old age of 88 with considerable money in the bank, so what enjoyment did he have in his life?? :confused:

I'm ashamed to say that I've been to Chadron, NE twice in the last 3 years on turkey hunting trips, and I had no idea that the fur trade museum was there. :shake:
If I ever make it back out that way, I'll be sure and stop by. :winking:

Mike Roberts said:
It was made to be shot. Pretty or not, it doesnt matter--I am reminded of a story: In the early 80s I was at the Tulsa gunshow and saw a gorgeous Parker double with a price tag of $5000. I said to the dealer, "If I had it I would be afraid to carry it afield and shoot it". He said, "If you were married to Marilyn Monroe, would you sleep with her?" Good point, but I couldn't afford the gun anyway....

Parkers were made to be used and used hard. They were a great gun. Many of the London guns were made for gentlemanly driven shoots, but Parkers were built to be carried afield. Very solidly built shotguns!

Unless you are holding onto it for collectable value that would be diminished with use, I'd say shoot it!! Still, it's your gun, do what feels right to you.

----------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller said:
Any of you have a favorite you bought for just the sol purpose of pride? Am I nuts? Is there help for me?

Nope. You're nuts. :rotf: :rotf:

An unfired gun is like a beautiful nun.

First time I heard it put quite that way, but you're absolutely right Stumpkiller. :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

For Pete's sake, you shoot rifles that require you to strike a rock against a peice of steel to cause a charge of powder to ignite and send a lead ball wrapped in cloth hurtling down a barrel. Of course you're nuts - - like the rest of us. Mart

Are you nuts, Joe? I don't any letters after my name that would qualify me to make that call, but if you can own that gun and not succumb to the urge to shoot it you have more self discipline than I do.

I will say though that if I owned that gun after a month I'd be nuts from wondering what she'd do on the range, on a deer hunt, on a turkey hunt, etc. But the main thing is that you enjoy your gun anyway you want.

i hate to say it but i have many guns that i have never fired. just got them because i wanted one ,love the looks or feel,or thought id might use it .wife thinks im crazy but i tell her they are like diamonds they just go up in value not down that useally does the trick
curt

Joe, :hmm:

How long have you been feeling this way? Sit back quietly and remember your chilhood...... did anything ever happen when you were punished :nono: for using something for its intended purpose.... :winking:
Of course you are nuts! :youcrazy: That gun was made to shoot...you were made to shoot :shocked2:

It is a beaut and I just don't understand how you can control yourself. My Rx...... get some powder, ball and patching material for it.....or go out to the woods where some turkeys are running around..then see if the urge doesn't overtake you.....Maybe they sell some pills for this problem online..although I haven't seen any commercials for exactly this problem on tv..... :rotf:

If you do see some kind'a pill for it they'll be some kind of side effect like heart failure,brain tumor or anal leakage, so what's the use :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I apoligize, I just couldn't resist!!!

:rotf:

Try looking at this way. If you have a freezer full of bass and crappie your not going to take the calender on the wall full fish pictures down and eat it.

Joe

If you think you love that gun now, just shoot it and you'll love it even more. The crack of the charge and the smoke in the air will make you fall head over heels IN LOVE!

Back