• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I Silly?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got to looking at my 1851 Navy Pistol the other day. The barrel is blued, but I'm itching to try a mustard brown finish or something similiar on a gun barrel. I think it would make it look pretty cool if I did it to the barrel and cylinder. Kinda give it an old time/worn look. I've got a bottle of blueing here that I could redo it if I didn't like the new look. I kinda use it as my knock-around BP gun anyways. Has anyone else done this before? Well,what do you think,should I try it or am I silly?

as you said, you have the means to return the revolver (more or less) to its original condition if you don't like the result so, by all means,

GO FOR IT!

good luck with your new project

msw

Flinter, I took my brand-spanking-new-never-shot '51 Uberti Colt and did this to it:
BleachedColtc.jpg

I used bleach to remove the bluing, rinsed it off good when done, used 4/0 steel wool to rub it down a bit. Also did the steel wool thing on the grips just enough to take off the new shine. Emery

Thanks guys, When time allows for it I think I might try it. If I do I'll definately post some pictures.
P.S. Thank-You for the picture Mazo Kid.

Hey Guys!
I'm doing it. I have all the bluing removed, but it might be a while until I do the mustard part of it. I'll post pics later. I'm going to use Brown Mustard with apple cider vinegar :grin:

by the way, is there an easy :rotf: :rotf:
way to remove the Italian and other fine writing
from the sides of the barrel at this time?
Thank-You,
Flinter

There is a pair of early model dragoons in existance that had browned finishes. If somebody wanted something different and was willing to pay for it chances are Colt would have made it happen.

Flinter, you can carefully file the lettering off the barrel. Take it off equally along the length, or nearly so, to avoid having a dished spot. I left mine on as it is on the under side of the barrel. I can easily take it off and refinish that part. Please post pictures of your progress.

I haven't tried mustard browning. But on refinish jobs using LMF browning, you don't have to remove metal all the way down to the bottom of the lettering to make it disappear after browning. With LMF, shallow lettering fills right up and disappears during the normal course of browning. Maybe LMF results in thicker browning than mustard. Who knows?

For the refinish on a GPR and more recently on a Traditions Crockett, I just went down about half way into the lettering while I was draw filing (using 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around a file rather than a bare file). You could still see the lettering when I finished, but it disappeared completely when I did the browning.

wow. that's impressive. not the same gun at all. well done. Are u going to try and give it a more 'pitted' aged look? Seems rusting is needed in order to do so. I'm curious since I'm looking to do this with my paterson revolver. I really prefer the 'antique' finish over the overly blued models sold now - Don

Thanks guys,
The mustard is supposed to kind of gray it/slightly rust it,the way I understand it. I might end up browning it if I don't like the look. I don't really want to make it super rusty,pitted,or anything like that. I just want to change the look and/or age it. I do like the look of it in the white, so maybe the mustard will be what I'm looking for. I can't wait to do it, but I've got a lot of things going on right now. I'll keep you all posted and try to post some more pics in the future.
Flinter

This is my setup. Not very fancy.
P2140202.jpg

This is how it has turned out with 2 coatings of mustard. I oiled it up for now, but would like to try some more coatings sometime because I am not super happy with it yet.
P2140217.jpg

Back