• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Amatuer built Generic Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogwalking

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been working on this one for a year, but that year included a move from Virginia to Tennessee, with all that entailed. Mark Weader inletted the barrel and ramrod and Rice provided the .32 caliber barrel. Jim Chambers sent me the Dale Johnson lock. The rest of the stuff came from either TOW or MBS. Stock stain was ferric nitrate. I had made a nice nickel silver moon for the cheek piece, but the stock was promising to be nice without additional ornamentation.

I don't plan to do any more on this one, unless my engraving improves logarithmically. but comments are welcomed, and will help on the next one. (If I don't get too blind, shaky or senile before then.)
Frog

Looks awesome. I love the marbling on the cheek piece; right call on not covering it with an inlay.

How long is the barrel? The forestock between the rear entry thimble and lock looks a tad short, but that could just be because I've been working on one with a 44" barrel for the last 7 years.

Extremely nice.

I'd either age the brass or engrave. Doesn't have to be fancy curves. Make short dashes or lines in the perimeter. Maybe sign the lock plate too.

If you mess up, you can probably get a replacement that lines right up.

Barrel is 42 inches long. Rifle weighs 8 lb. 1 oz. I don't care for the shiny brass either, but I had to steel wool the finish off of it. The shine will go away after it is shot (again).

I'm a 1000 miles away and it looks good from here. Love the uniqueness to the wood on the cheek piece. Be proud.

That patch box really does cry out for some engraving. It doesn't have to be much to make a HUGE difference. You could get a brass door kick plate and cut out the shape of the box and use that for practice. Don't forget that most of the old gunsmiths were not really that great at engraving, so the pieces that we build don't have to be engraved like an Italian shotgun. There is one rifle in the Kindig books that only had a few triangular shaped grooves filed into the edges of the box in strategic places, but it was enough to make a big difference.

All around a fine rifle anyone would be proud to carry. The patchbox is plain. But, I won't agree it needs engraving. :shake: It is what it is and looks good. It would only need engraving if you want it engraved. And, I agree, the cheekpiece is such a nice piece of wood it is better without an inlay. But, like anything, that is a matter of personal choice, not what we think.

Hi Frog,
Very nicely done. It is a very handsome gun. I agree the box needs engraving but keep in mind, a simple border line can do the trick almost as well as fancy scrolls and foliage. Also, just outlining the obvious volutes that form the profile of the box and adding a few accent lines will make it look like a million bucks.

dave

Agree. It's a blank canvas just begging for something. Many originals were left blank however.

Not many bones to pick with you on your execution of the architecture however. I'm sure that YOU know where all the little mistakes are though.

Very pretty and very sleek and slim looking. You're a good builder to have achieved that slim look.

Nicely done. Excellent rifle. . and a great caliber.

I am in the midst of my first build - also a Lancaster .32, but in LH . . If it looks anything close to yours it will be a great success.

I will agree that a small amount of good quality engraving would/will improve the rifle. I have not given up on it, but if it is engraved, I want to be the one who does it. I am not yet ready to venture into that area.

Latest posts

Back