• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An 1858 style revolver compared to a 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amccall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For target cometition which revolver would be better to use for handling and accuracy. Also is Cabelas a good choice to get one of these guns or is there a beter place in regards to quality and price. I have a Uberti 1860 That I like but I like the 1858 style pistol with the target rear site. Kind of mulling over if it is worth spending the money if they are both comparable or not.

I think the Remmy wins hands down for target competition because the sights are better and more rigidly attached. My Dixie 1858 had an adjustable target sight but it was already spot on at 25 yds so I never messed with it. However, I have always been and will forever be a Colt fanatic and am more comfortable with that design for all uses.

I had a 58 Rem from Cabela's and was not satisfied. It was a Pietta and did not operate smoothly. I sent it back and got another which I did not like and this was traded off for a Uberti 58 which operates far better.

I think that the Rem is a better gun for target work as it has a top strap and the rear sight is mounted there.

CS

everybody is probably right about the remington but I do better shooting the colt types. This is probably because I like them better and shoot them more. The sight picture on mine is about as good as a remington because I open up the hammer notch for better visibility.

The Piettas may be better quality now but I have not seen any evidence of that. The best that can be said for them is that, if they work, they are more accurate than Palmetto or the old and hopefully gone forever, Armi San Marco

My Remington repros are more accurate than my Colts, which I believe is inherent in the design. I do have an 1862 Pocket Police which is fairly accurate, but that's because it's the only revolver I own where the cylinder bore is slightly larger than the barrel. This seems to be a critical point, & was discussed at length a few years ago in one of the muzzleloading journals. The sight notch does have to be opened a bit for better accuracy on the COlts. Blade front sights help also.

My Ubertis- remington and colt types have .450" chamber mouths and groove to grove measurements. The Piettas Ive seen are a couple of thousanths smaller but still showing optimum relations for good accuracy. Chamber mouths essentiall the same size or somewhat larger than bore diameter are needed for accuracy as you said. some of the older replicas - particularly ASM have two or even three different chamber measurements in the same cylinder. This makes for indifferent accuracy until you ream them to an optimal size.

1860army25duelistsml.jpg

http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/1860amry60ft22grvol457.jpg
Uberti with .450 chamber and barrel

http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/1858rem25sml.jpg
Pietta with .448-9 Chambers and barrel to match

Thanks for all the replies. I was just comparing prices and looking at the cimarron site and noticed that my 1860 colt is a little more expensive than the 1858 army. To me the 1858 looks more accurate and sturdy but I guess the 1860 is more desirable therefore demmands the higher price. I think I will stick with Cimarron if I buy another revolver since my 1860 feels and shoots like its a high quality revolver. I did get to check out a ruger 1858 style revolver and it was a nice gun but for a $100 dollars more than the Cimarron I could not justify it.

I've been hearing that Colts are weaker than Remingtons forever, but haven't found it to be true. And once you get in some practice with any revolver, you will be able to hit with it. If paper punching is your main goal, then you might want a gun with adjustable sights and that does limit you to the Remington. Otherwise, I don't think it matters much. My '51 Navys are good rabbit getters and are as tight as the day they were made. My '60 Armies and my Walkers have never given me a lick of trouble. I do like my Remington, but wish it had a'60 Colt Army grip. And there is no way the Remington will ever have the fine balance of the Colt.
Cimarrons are built by Uberti and are fine guns. I've had two, and they were sweet shooters. In my opinion, they are worth the extra money.

Back