• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An interesting 32 caliber deer hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used that type of sight setup on a hog hunt. I was surprised to find that with just very early fading light the whole sight picture would swim like I was looking into a pool of wavy water.

It must have been due to my eye sight.
A hooded front sight is trouble in the woods. Reduced lighting blurs it too much. But that nice tang sight is always good. It just needs to be paired with a brass or silver blade or at least an unhooked and painted front sight.

I would use a 32 with a bullet without any concerns. Not sure about his bullet weight but probably approaching or even surpassing 30-30?
Not remotely close to 30-30 WCF. 1,000 fps faster with a 170 gr vs 110 gr bullet. That said a high speed (300 fps) razor blade (archery broadhead) will bring down a deer.....eventually as they bleed out. I have eviscerated deer with unmentionables only to watch them run away to fall over at a distance. Only shock to the central nervous system will drop them instantly.

That 32 will do much better than 1300 fps. I'd use on if legal if it were my only choice. In the end I prefer a 535 ball for just about everything.

The .32 cal set-up like that will certainly kill tick toters. I have killed them with a .32-20 Marlin old model 92 i think. Here in Mo. we no longer have a ML season, but they allow us to hunt with them in Alternate season. Talk about bs they allow .22 CF n larger pistol calibers in same season. Go figure !

The .32 cal set-up like that will certainly kill tick toters. I have killed them with a .32-20 Marlin old model 92 i think. Here in Mo. we no longer have a ML season, but they allow us to hunt with them in Alternate season. Talk about bs they allow .22 CF n larger pistol calibers in same season. Go figure !
Because most game laws, and others, are written by idgits that don't know what they are talking about. See Tennessee life time sportsman license prices by age group for further proof.

Not remotely close to 30-30 WCF. 1,000 fps faster with a 170 gr vs 110 gr bullet. That said a high speed (300 fps) razor blade (archery broadhead) will bring down a deer.....eventually as they bleed out. I have eviscerated deer with unmentionables only to watch them run away to fall over at a distance. Only shock to the central nervous system will drop them instantly.
That totally depends on shot placement. A shot in the head or neck will drop a deer on the spot, even with a .32 ML.

With that said, most people would not want to limit oneself for such shot placements on a deer, myself included. That's why God gave us larger caliber ML to hunt with.

Back