• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And it begins...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyEye

.50 T/C Hawken
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gathering parts for my first build. I've decided to repro, really I should say take inspiration from and attempt to repro the spirit and architecture of, this J.P. Beck Gun. If anyone knows of a book that has a study of it, please pass along the info. There is some very basic info on the auction site, but details like drop at comb, drop at heel, height of butt, etc would be very helpful.

I mada a run from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia this week and made a few stops on the way. I have most of the hardware needed now, still need a stock blank. I started lining up parts and had my first moment of panic. I'm not sure I know where a rear lock bolt is supposed to fit on this lock. It's Jim Chamber's Dale Johnson. There's almost no room above the spring. I have lots of time to figure it out but could use your wisdom.
Where ever it lands, I think I'm going to have to make some major mods to this side plate to make it work, it lines up with the bridle screw.
Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• PXL_20240425_005523522.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240425_005523522.MP.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240425_005558531.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240425_005558531.MP.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
I'd say between the hammer and the countersunk screw head holding on the pan. If the side plate doesn't work, sometimes you have to make one. Use the one you have as a pattern, just make it a little longer. Not hard to do, and then you get to say the side plate was hand made!

I'm gathering parts for my first build. I've decided to repro, really I should say take inspiration from and attempt to repro the spirit and architecture of, this J.P. Beck Gun. If anyone knows of a book that has a study of it, please pass along the info. There is some very basic info on the auction site, but details like drop at comb, drop at heel, height of butt, etc would be very helpful.

I mada a run from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia this week and made a few stops on the way. I have most of the hardware needed now, still need a stock blank. I started lining up parts and had my first moment of panic. I'm not sure I know where a rear lock bolt is supposed to fit on this lock. It's Jim Chamber's Dale Johnson. There's almost no room above the spring. I have lots of time to figure it out but could use your wisdom.
Where ever it lands, I think I'm going to have to make some major mods to this side plate to make it work, it lines up with the bridle screw.
Thanks,
Don
There’s a ton of room for the rear lock bolt. The bolt will screw into the bolster to the rear of the screw that attaches the bolster to the plate. Next drill your front lock bolt so it will screw into the lock plate in front of the main spring. Be sure to miss the barrel and the ramrod groove. Next drill a clearance hole in the side plate where the rear lock bolt will go through and attach the side plate. Next stick something pointy through the front bolt hole from the lock side to the side plate side and mark the side plate on the back side where the bolt hole needs to be. Drill a clearance hole through the front side plate location, shorten the side plate if need be and bolt on your lock.
Good luck
Kevin

If needed you can add to or reshape your side plate. A small oxygen account torch and brazing rod is the ticket. Work a "drop" in at a time removing the heat just when the plate melts. Don't be afraid to build it up as it is easy to grind/sand down.

There’s a ton of room for the rear lock bolt. The bolt will screw into the bolster to the rear of the screw that attaches the bolster to the plate. Next drill your front lock bolt so it will screw into the lock plate in front of the main spring. Be sure to miss the barrel and the ramrod groove. Next drill a clearance hole in the side plate where the rear lock bolt will go through and attach the side plate. Next stick something pointy through the front bolt hole from the lock side to the side plate side and mark the side plate on the back side where the bolt hole needs to be. Drill a clearance hole through the front side plate location, shorten the side plate if need be and bolt on your lock.
Good luck
Kevin
Thanks, for some reason I was thinking it should go into the plate not the.bolster. I see what you mean now.

Thanks, for some reason I was thinking it should go into the plate not the.bolster. I see what you mean now.
Yup...the rear bolt screws into the bolster. The front bolt screws into the plate ahead of the main spring. Depending on exactly where you place it, the front bolt may end up in the blank open area in front of the frizzen spring, but it may also end up being behind and hidden by the spring. Either is fine and doesn't matter or affect performance. Any more questions, just ask.
Good luck,
Kevin

Back