• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And One For The Wall!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Buck. I know the feeling of not finding one. I have a niegbor on the south side of the land I hunt that is a anti :barf: .
Two years ago I killd the biggest deer I have ever seen and it went about 200yards on to this person's land. I took it with a selfbow that I made. This deer went easy 160". But that doesn't matter with this bow if it would have been a spike I would have been just as happy, well almost, But they would not let me on to retieve the deer. And when i got back with DNR the deer was gone. A true heartbreak

Be thankful for the great neighbors you have. I am glad you recovered the deer and a very nice one he is.
Idaho PRB

Greenmtboy, I'm getting a full mount done. Thought about a European. I kinda think they're cool and they take way less wall space, but the one I have freaks out my wife...

Jim/OH, I wished I'd went right down there, I wished I'd shot again when he was half-way slid down, I wished a lotta things.

flintlock1964, Wow, that sucks! A buddy of mine had a similar thing happen to him a few years back.

This buck was one tough S.O.B.! Besides coming back to life and going 400 yards after I shot him, check out what he was carryin' around in him.
11-23-08deerjunk.jpg

I never recovered my roundball, it exited under the right front leg. The broadhead was in the right front shoulder and that chunk next to it is a copper jacketed .44/.45 pistol bullet that was in his left shoulder!

Oh my god. What did this buck have in it. Seems it was not too much pain for him. Do you think these bullets are from poachers or from legal hunters?

There you can see how necessary a good shotplacement is and a exiting bullet.
BTW where did you hit him?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Both the broadhead and the bullet were surrounded by very tough scar tissue. Quite a bit of meat was lost around the broadhead. Not so much around the bullet. I believe both wounds were at least a year old as they were completely healed over.

I would guess they were from legal hunters. I think I might know who's broadhead that was. To the best of my knowledge I am the only one using a handgun in the area, a .44 magnum I sometimes carry, and I haven't shot any deer with it that I didn't recover. The base of the bullet measures .455 on my calipers and there are no rifling marks on it. I would guess it came from one of them modern type guns using a plastic sabot. :hmm:

The buck was below me in a deep ravine quartering away when I shot. My ball hit high on the left side right at the back of the ribcage. In front of the diaphragm. It scratched the spine hard enough to knock him down, went thru the right lung, and exited from the right "armpit". The exit hole must have gotten clogged with fat or something. Most of the blood stayed inside the chest cavity. There was a good blood trail for the last 100 yards but nothing for at least 250-300 yards in between.

These two bullets you found throw no good light at the hunters who send them to the buck. I can't believe that they didn't recognize the hit and started searching after the buck. but on the other hand it is surprising what such a buck can stand.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Very nice, that Buck would put a smile on anyones face, congrats on a great hunt.

Beautiful buck. Congratulations! :hatsoff:

That feller had been around the block for sure. :shocked2:

jethro224 said:
This buck was one tough S.O.B.! Besides coming back to life and going 400 yards after I shot him, check out what he was carryin' around in him.
11-23-08deerjunk.jpg

I never recovered my roundball, it exited under the right front leg. The broadhead was in the right front shoulder and that chunk next to it is a copper jacketed .44/.45 pistol bullet that was in his left shoulder!

Many here may know I don't favor a conical in a m/l, but taht's just personal preference. You want to wind me up and hear my opinion on non-cutting leading edge "poke-and-hope" broadheads and light (under 650 grains) target arrows some time. And those abominations that are supposed to open or transform on impact are right up there with tracking dog poo onto the rug for a welcome in my hunting lodge.

I'm with ya Stumpy! I shoot telephone poles out of my recurve. Been using the Muzzy Phantom(?) 4-blade cut-to the-tip heads for a few years. They work good.

I showed that broadhead out of that deer to my nephew-in-law tonight and he said "Hey, those are what I'm using". I told him to throw 'em away and get some good ones. :grin:

jethro224 said:
Greenmtboy, I'm getting a full mount done. Thought about a European. I kinda think they're cool and they take way less wall space, but the one I have freaks out my wife...
11-23-08deerjunk.jpg

:shocked2: :shocked2:
holy cow all that hardware, insaine.
Ask your wife if a full mount with eyes that are going to follow her every were is better :haha:

jethro224 said:
I'm with ya Stumpy! I shoot telephone poles out of my recurve. Been using the Muzzy Phantom(?) 4-blade cut-to the-tip heads for a few years. They work good.

I showed that broadhead out of that deer to my nephew-in-law tonight and he said "Hey, those are what I'm using". I told him to throw 'em away and get some good ones. :grin:

I agree,
I shot zwickie's brodheads for years then switched to muzzy's.
Love em both.
Out here in CO it imperative that you use a heavy set up for clean pass through and keep you shots under thirty yrds.

Greenmtnboy said:
Ask your wife if a full mount with eyes that are going to follow her every were is better :haha:

:haha: Don't hafta ask her she already told me more than once that the 2 full mounts I have now are always lookin' at her. :haha: She still likes 'em better than the skull.

Nice buck - congratulations!

Absolutely amazing to see he was carrying a broadhead and a pistol bullet in him. :shocked2: That was one tough/lucky buck!

Back