• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Andrew Jackson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
Just finished "Andrew Jackson, His Life and Times" by H.W. Brands, published by Doubleday, 2005.

Found it a very good read as to events, the man, and temper of the times from 1767-1845. He was almost ironed willed in everything he undertook and did not suffer fools gladly. He began life as a young orphaned boy, little to no education and overcome almost every obstacle he found in his way. He killed a man in a duel after receiving a ball to the chest, (Jackson said, "if shot through the brain, I would have put a ball into him") he was shot again and almost killed in a brawl where knives were also liberally applied.

His military exploits almost defy truth, a British officer in the revolutionary war slashed him across the head and face, and he had an undying hatred of the English throughout most of his life. He was an Indian fighter who struck fear into all the tribes he engaged, The battle of Horseshoe Bend in March of 1814 against the Red Sticks, (Creeks) who were allied with the British, was the bloodiest defeat ever suffered by Indians in American history. 557 bodies counted in the fort and over 250-300 more who died trying to flee into the Tallapoosa River. Enraged over the massacre earlier by the Red Sticks at Fort Mims of 540 White men, women and children, the frontiersmen exacted terrible vengeance.

Before and during battle, he showed no mercy, but could at times be quite lenient after the foe was vanquished.

Facing an almost hopeless situation at New Orleans, he declared martial law and took a rag-tag band of about 4,000 "frontiersmen, militiamen, regular soldiers, free men of color, Indians, pirates, and townspeople, ordered anyone whom showed cowardice at the front, to be immediately shot down. In less than two hours, there were over 1500 of England's finest troops killed or wounded with 500 captured, the American loss was 13 killed and 64 wounded.

There is more work on Jackson than any historic figure in our nation. Almost 1/4 of the historic biographical material in print.

People love him or hate him with very little in between.

ghost said:
There is more work on Jackson than any historic figure in our nation. Almost 1/4 of the historic biographical material in print.

People love him or hate him with very little in between.

I can understand why, a very complicated and facinating man.

Here is something I found about Jackson in the Judge John James interviews with Simon Kenton.
I'd like to know what you think about it since I've spent very little time studying Jackson. At the least it puts Jackson's birth date in question.

In 1779 Jackson came out with Walker & some line cutters in the Fall at Boonesboro. He mated with a rowdy set,outbreaking at Danville. He was certainly then 20 odd, knew him there till 83. Familiar with Roberd’s wife. George Girty joined with Illinois regiment as a lieut. in 1783 & at the Ocaw towns( Kaskaskia)
ran away & joined Simon & Jim at Detroit, where he soon died.
These notes copied carefully from the originals loaned me for the purpose by Col. John H. James, Jr. of Urbana, Ohio July 5, ”˜89 LC Draper.

Regards, Dave

dvlmstr said:
Here is something I found about Jackson in the Judge John James interviews with Simon Kenton.
I'd like to know what you think about it since I've spent very little time studying Jackson. At the least it puts Jackson's birth date in question.

In 1779 Jackson came out with Walker & some line cutters in the Fall at Boonesboro. He mated with a rowdy set,outbreaking at Danville. He was certainly then 20 odd, knew him there till 83. Familiar with Roberd’s wife. George Girty joined with Illinois regiment as a lieut. in 1783 & at the Ocaw towns( Kaskaskia)
ran away & joined Simon & Jim at Detroit, where he soon died.
These notes copied carefully from the originals loaned me for the purpose by Col. John H. James, Jr. of Urbana, Ohio July 5, ”˜89 LC Draper.

Regards, Dave

There are many stories of the early days which are related down by somebody who knew somebody, etc, etc and things get rather garbled.

Jackson's Scotch Irish parents did not emigrate from northern Ireland until 1765, he was born in 1767 in Waxhaw district in the piedmont along NC-SC border on Twelve Mile Creek. His father died before he was born, his mother died in 1780 when he was 13.

In 1782 he inherited 300-400 pounds sterling from his paternal grandfather in Scotland, he got a pass from the British and went to Charleston to claim it. (and immediately lost it gambling)

In 1785 he apprenticed to one Spruce Macay, a lawyer in Salisbury SC, in 1787 he went under the guidance of another lawyer, Colonel John Stokes, six months later Jackson appeared before the North Carolina Superior court board, was examined and admitted to practice law. He would have just turned 20 years of age. In 1788 his friend John McNairy was appointed by NC to a judgeship in the western lands, (now TN) McNairy in turn selected 21 year old Jackson as solicitor and they traveled to Nashville. And as they say, the rest is history.

Transtaafl
I agree with you 100% about things getting garbeled when they are handed down. But in this particular case Judge James was talking directly to Kenton on February 13 1832. Kenton was notorious for his almost photographic memory and attention to detail up until about 2 years before he died in 1836.
In an interview with Kenton by a reporter of the Cincinnati Mirror titled "A Days Ramble to Visit an Old Pioneer" published in 1834, Kenton retells the story of his encounter with Jackson at Crow's Station in 1779, then Kenton added that he saw Jackson again in Cincinnati when Jackson was campaigning for president. He told the the reporter "I thought he looked mighty sly at me, but I never said Crow's Station to him once."
Lyman Draper and other historians have looked into the Jackson/Kenton encounter at Crow's Station and some have concluded that there may have been some sort of altercation between them.
Draper's notes also include a talk he had with an old woman who claimed that she was on board the same ship as Jackson's mother when she came from Ireland, and that Jackson was born at sea. She said that Jackson was older than he claimed.

That is about as much as I have read about Jackson except for the usual stuff you learn in high school history class.
If I get the time I would like to read a little more about him. He was certainly colorful.

Regards, Dave

Latest posts

Back