• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Annual X-Mas day pheasant hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Every year since I was a little kid we hunted deer on Thanksgiving and rabbits on X-mas day in Mich. in WY its been deer on Thanksgiving and pheasants on X-mas.

Once a year my wife will go hunting with me. This is on X-mas day at Fort Phil Kearney. She is not a hunter but loves watching the dogs work.

So this year we get up early on X-mas mourning I cook her a great breakfast, we open our presents, get bundled up and head to the Fort. When we get there, their are 2 hunters leaving, I ask "If the had seen anything." and they said "No and that the other group that was here didn't either" So I ask Jan "If she still wanted to go? and she said that we should since were here and its "A good day to walk." Now I should tell you its 4 degrees out and 15 to 30 mph. winds. But being the little trooper she is we turn the dogs out and start our walk. We get 300 yards from the truck and she says " Boy its a little fresh out here."

Then the 1st flush, birds did not hold for the dogs no point, but got one. Then Jan says "Boy my hands are getting cold" In my hunting vest I have a spare set of shooting gloves and she puts these over hers. "You OK?" "Oh that's better", she says. We go 5 more minutes and She says "My face is so cold" You want to back to the truck? My little trooper says she'll be fine. I dig around in my hunting vest and find one of those hat combo face shields. And she says "That's better" and off we go.

Well Sage goes on point The bird flushes I shoot the bird goes 350 yards, Sage retrieves And my Little trooper says " I'm freezing if you want anymore pics you'll have to take them, I'm going to the truck.

And I will tell you that it was a bit brisk out. So that was the annual X-mas day hunt.

Sage on point.

jackley said:
I sold a gentleman in Kansas a pup last spring. I'm from Wy. can't remember his name, but he came here and picked it up. It was a male pup.

Jerry

I have been a lab man for 51 years. When I was living in SD I saw something one weekend that made me really start looking at other breeds. I was off the rez for a weekend in Ft Pierre. There is an Americ Inn there. This one weekend the place was covered up with nice folks with DD's. They were having a trial!! In the hotel, no less!! Hunting season was over. Most of the events took place in the conference room. I was invited to sit in and see the judging. The dogs were completely under control as they were critcally being judged for conformation and obedience. They were taken outside for something, but as it was below zero, I elected to stay inside. The dogs and their handlers were some of the nicest dog people I have ever seen. More people need to look at the DD, as labs have just about been ruined by the field trial crowds and their techniques. I am glad I got out of that crowd before the shock collars replaced sound training. Frying dogs is not my cup of tea, and I believe you and the DD group are doing it right. Good luck with your dog and the season, if there is any left.

Back