• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit hunting and gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow almost an old topic now.

I ran the dog today field trail.. first time.

I learned more..

I might have to re pattern test the gun to see what ten yards looks like.

I might go less.. not 1.5oz.

#5 1.25oz and 60 65 grns 3f...

I got a gps collar and tried that for the first time.. that worked real good.
I’ve been wondering about what happened to you. You’ve been MIA for a while.

Sounds like you’re getting it nailed down pretty good. Congrats.

I've search around the site a couple times a day maybe.

I kinda belong on the modern site somtimes and I think I've made one post on the modern site total. I had a question but I searched it and got the answer so.

I'm on the modern site everyday also and never find anything.

It was fun.

We are looking into joining a club and getting a puppy.

Everyone wants there own beagle here now.

the hunt season is 5 months you can be hunt training out there.
I don't think I need the club to get a dog trained but it's nice.

A good stock of hunting dog is important, but not absolute. However, all hunting dogs need good training to be the best they can be. This most of the time requires starting them off young while hunting with other well trained dogs. Fortunately, beagles are fairly easy to train and are often naturals. Most will run a rabbit to some degree but when running them with other well trained beagles they learn how to stay on the trail and/or back track if they lose the trail. I had one beagle that would somewhat run a rabbit but ultimately failed as a good rabbit dog. Most any beagle will run a rabbit, but to what capacity they run one can be a different story.

I really enjoyed rabbit hunting with beagles. The bad part is, despite what some beagle owners might say, many beagles will run deer. Not all, but most. I spent the night in my truck one night after my dad’s beagles ran a deer and didn’t come back. Finally, the next morning we found them on a road several miles away. Dad swore his beagles wouldn’t run deer.

Rabbit hunted with my cousin and the beagle got after a deer. The dog was never found.

The last time I rabbit hunted with beagles was with a friend that bragged his beagles wouldn’t run deer. I watched those dogs chase a deer that day.😁
Don’t believe I’d take you rabbit hunting with me if I had beagles. Lol

Back