• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another day of 'almost'!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Day one was the adventure of the assorted critters and fun with them all. Day two was one where they were staying over by the electrical line easement and just out of range for a .62 smoothie. So today I got there early enough to find a neat hidey-hole around the easement and catch'em napping. You guessed it, the big ole buck, at least 10 points was standing underneath the stand where I've been the last two days!! I could just imagine him doing the "bloop-bloop" with this tongue like the roadrunner in the cartoons! Still blame the squirrel I scared furless the first day..."Hey Bambi, he's over by the open easement today. Stand over by that outhouse in the tree and he's screwed!"...and yes, I was. Ever feel like you're the dumbest thing in the woods?

Day wasn't a total loss though. Broke for lunch at "Wild Bubba's" and had the buffalo burger and went by Cabelas and saw all the goodies, including two genuine Walkers, they were setting out in the gunroom. This evening I stopped by the wonderful joint I referred to before, La Hacienda! Makes me feel better about being out-witted by critters! :haha:

Sounds like another awesome day to be alive and in the woods. I have found that for me over the years, the kill has really become secondary. Being able to share stories like yours is what is most important to me. Having said that, I have been outsmarted more times than I care to remember, but.....every once in awhile they screw up!

Jeff

I'm still praying for a 'screw up' on their part. Been out a couple more times with about as much luck. When I'm in the tree stand, deer are over by the power easement and when I find a hiding spot toward the easement, they're standing under the tree with the stand...carrumba! Yesterday, I split the difference and nobody showed up...except that one irritating squirrel who can see through camouflage and is very vocal about it. Don't shoot him since a .62 would, at best, leave pot roast seasoning...especially with my aging eyes. Like my mom used to say, "Son, think of it as humility-training!"

There is only one sure way to avoid those situations. That is not hunting. I'm sure we have all been there. I always remind myself that there a reason that buck got big! You'll get him yet.

Geo. T.

hanshi said:
"Another day of almost" ain't nothing compared to seasons of "not at all".
Absolutely! Even if I don't see another whitetail all season long, it'll never erase the thrill of the sight of one big bobcat or that Blackbuck showing up and giving me a grand case of 'what in the name of Krispy Kreams is that?'!

Still playing my game of being in the wrong place but it's becoming a huge joke being out-smarted by Mother Nature! Figure as long as I can run by Wild Bubba's for elk, buffalo, yak, venison, antelope or longhorn burgers & deli sandwiches...I'm a happy camper!!

Back