• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

another great deal for me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadyrest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i work part time in the lodge at a local dicks store, i was trying to find a stainless firestorm flinter, so i called 35 stores in 1 day trying to find one to no avail. BUT, i found a hawken leftover from a while ago, dicks hasnt appatrently carried the hawken for a few years now and a brand new in the box hawken for $300 cheapest i can find one brand new is $440 many used ones cost more than what im paying new. It will look wonderful next to my 2 PA hunter rifles, my Renegade, and a Lyman GPR. All i need is a PA hunter carbine, I think ill make the GPR into the tomato stake it deserves to be.
sam

Sam seez...."I think ill make the GPR into the tomato stake it deserves to be. sam "

Sounds like sam might be down on the GPR, and I have to wonder why.

Just so sam doesn't feel alone, I have to say I have talked to others who feel the same, but I am still not sure "why".....some seem to feel it is the "balance" of the rifle. I just wondered what your thoughts were.

Perhaps you would share your views with us?? :peace:

Russ

WELL CANT GET IT TO SHOOT IM GOOD WITH MY OTHER ML'S, CANT GET UNDER 5'' AT 50 YARDS WHILE I CAN GET 3 TOUCHING AT 75 WITH THE OTHERS, I TRIED ALL TYPES OF AMMO SWITCHED BARRELS TO THE SABOT BARREL, IT WONT SHOOT SABOTS, OR CONICALS, AND IT SHOT ROUNDBALLS PATHETICALLY WITH THE ROUNDBALL BARREL ON I WAS TOLD TO TRY AND PUT A NEW TANG ON THE GUN, ILL TRY IT IF NOT IT WILL ASSIST IN HOLDING UP SOME WICKED TOMOATO PLANTS.
SAM

a new tang????? How would that make it shoot better? I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I just don't see how that would improve the groups.....but then I'm no gunbuilder either! :hmm:

I found that my GPR from lyman did shoot excellent,but it favored goex 3f only,the main reason I sold the gun was the overall weight.

I SPOKE WITH ONE OF THE GUYS FROM RMC, HE SAID WHERE THE BARREL SEATS INTO THE TANG IT WAS A PROBLEM ON SOME LYMANS ACCORDING TO HIM , SO ILL GIVE IT A SHOT AND IF IT DOESNT WORK IT WILL BE FOR SALE, AGAIN

Make sure that you get the packing lube completely cleaned from the barrel. Otherwise it will shoot badly.

I use a bore solvent and 20-30 strokes with a brush, followed by another 20-30 strokes with solvent patches.

Then clean as normal.

Make sure that you get the packing lube completely cleaned from the barrel. Otherwise it will shoot badly.

I use a bore solvent and 20-30 strokes with a brush, followed by another 20-30 strokes with solvent patches.

Then clean as normal.

I was thinking that "exact same thing"...that first cleaning can not be over stated! It takes some doing to get all that "stuff" out of the barrel.

I even go as far using a small .30cal brush, wrapped with a bit with 0000 steel wool, and a poltice of Bon Ami Cleanser and mineral oil, for the first 20 / 30 strokes...then I spend another 30 minutes cleaning up the mess. :crackup:

But I only have to do it once. I'm not even suggesting you do this as a lot of people frown on it. I am saying it works for me, and I have been doing it for years. For that matter, I have used a rottenstone poltice with good results.

Anyway, That "first" initial cleaning is very important. It will save you lots of heart aches down the road.....with any rifle.

Russ

I was in R-Guns & Collectibles today in Lake Havasu City, AZ. They had several used muzzleloaders, including Two TC Hawkens, the flinter was $169.00 and the nipple gun was $189.00. (?)

And you left them there? Should buy them both for resale. You should be able to make some money on them at those prices if they are in good shape. :m2c:

I have no interest in them, but I am sure they would sell and ship to anyone who was.

Never really examined them, just noticed they were in the rack and prices.

R-Guns & Collectibles
928-854-4500, or, 928-454-4511, Fax: 928-854-7936

Regarding the TC Firestorm SS Flinter: After much searching, I found a supply at Woodlandsworld (PA) at the best price (mid $3's, under $400 including shipping) Waiting for the F-ing snow to stop so I can play a bit with it.

BobW

reason i was trying to find one at dicks was they were clearanced there for 279.97 thats the only reason

Back