• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we should have a black powder, pig chasing, get together for the Ga (and nearby) folk at one of the more central WMAs that still holds pigs. I would say FS, but I think the added paperwork and red tape would turn some out of state people off.

Maybe during Turkey this year?

Yeah Fort Stewart would be a pain for folks that live a ways off. All weapons have to be registered on base and that usually takes about a week. Right now with deer season done, the east side of hwy 119 is small game weapons only for hogs....big bore has to hunt on the west side of 119 until the conclusion of small game season.We can't hunt hogs during the turkey season though unless it is in an archery only area. Your plan sounds good to me, just have to find a WMA that will allow hog hunting.

Pine Log WMA allows hog hunting during small game season, but you have to use small game weapons. Lucky for us traditional ML hunters, muzzleloaders are small game weapons in GA.

My friend and I are doing a hike in hunt next weekend from Friday to Sunday. The gates are closed, so you have to hike in from the main roads.

It's just Stewart that has those rules. You can hunt hogs during any season on the regular WMAs with whatever weapon is appropriate for that season. Muzzle loaders are allowed for every season.

I think good candidates would be

Horse Creek (my first choice) http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sit...ife/maps/wma/region6/Horse_Creek_WMA_Topo.pdf

or Ocmulgee http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sit...ma/region4/Ocmulgee_WMA/Ocmulgee_WMA_Topo.pdf

Both are centrally located, Both have campgrounds and both have been known to have good hog populations.

WMA stamp is around $20
3 day big game is $90 (only needed if you want to hunt turkey)
3 day small game is around $20 http://www.georgiawildlife.com/licenses-permits-passes#Recreational_Licenses_and_Passes

Turkey season for both is March 23- May 15 and hogs are legal with MLs. I think that's perhaps a time that the frozen wasteland known as the northeast doesn't have a great deal going on. Might be a nice get away for some of our Yankee friends.

I haven't been to either yet but it wouldn't be too hard to scout out. Is there a long holiday weekend during that time period?

Last edited by a moderator:
lorren68 said:
Pine Log WMA allows hog hunting during small game season, but you have to use small game weapons. Lucky for us traditional ML hunters, muzzleloaders are small game weapons in GA.
My friend and I are doing a hike in hunt next weekend from Friday to Sunday. The gates are closed, so you have to hike in from the main roads.

Fort Stewart has muzzleloaders classified as big game...not small game. :youcrazy: Thats why I posted up about the west/east sides of Hwy 119.

I appoligize if I confused anyone on the rules for Fort Stewart, that was not my intention.

I was only refering to Pine Log WMA.

lorren68 said:
I appoligize if I confused anyone on the rules for Fort Stewart, that was not my intention.

I was only refering to Pine Log WMA.

No need to apologize, Fort Stewart has some messed up rules. Only last year they made muzzleloaders as big game only. Gonna throw them a curve ball when I get me a smoothbore.

I have never hunting on ft. stewart just ft benning, and killed so many of them. I was part of the radication team and was allowed to hunt over bait, trap, shoot at night with thermals, spot lights, supressors, i hade a key to all the areas and back gates, and range gates, could even shoot them from a vehicle or in the housing complex. If ya never hunt there go to area A11, A12, or anywhere in the K-areas. MY favorite was A-11 they had 2 huge food plots prolly 500 yards long each I would park by the first and head 500 meters south and pick up the creek bed and would follow it west and catch them on either side of the creek bed, or part way up the hill towards the fields, or in the palmetto's, or in the swamp, they ran a big circle around the fields so eventually you would find them, you just had to walk slow. Back then we were paid a 40 dollar a peice bounty on them. In 2 years I killed around 150 hogs most were killed in A-11, or A-12. A-12 was shut down for both the years I was there and was over ran with hogs, the average hunter could go in there, but the guys selected for the radication team could and it was off the hook. If ya get a chance give it a try.

Yeah I have heard of the bounty on Benning. Here they just have the annual big boar comp. 5 bucks to enter during deer season, largest hog gets 200 dollars. I havent heard what the weight for this years winner was yet.

Back