• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another "Hunting with Bess" Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetcanoe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last weekend was the first time I've ever hunted with a smoothbore. I got a squirrel using #6 shot in my Pedersoli Bess at about 25yds - much farther than I would have expected with a "cylinder bore".

So while I'm sitting under a tree and enjoying the day, I got to thinking about the best way to have a load plan if a deer showed up. The easiest thing to my mind was to roll some buckshot down that big ol' 11ga barrel, right over the #6 load. Or maybe even roll a single, well-undersized ball down the barrel.

The idea would be not using the ramrod and getting busted for moving too much.

Obviously this would have to be a very close shot and I'd pattern it at the range first as well as make sure the projectile would not get stuck halfway down the barrel.

Anyway, been digging through old posts here on the forum and wondered if y'all have done this or have suggestions on number/size of buckshot or RB?

Thanks

- J

Interesting question. Over and above my concern about extra pressures from the larger payload, I'd be REALLY worried about even one of those buckshot, much less a large ball rolling back partway down the barrel as you aimed. Pedersoli Besses and fingers, much less eyes are expensive to replace.

At close range you'd be picking birdshot out of the deer, and a curious game warden or check-in official might be asking some difficult questions.

I haven't any knowledge of North Carolina's hunting regulations, but Ohio's Deer ML regs allow only one ball per barrel. But Ohio's small game seasons are suspended during deer gun seasons anyway.

I was out Hunting small game with a friend 2 years ago. I had already got my moose( with my Bess) and had a load of birdshot in my gun(same Bess) We were looking mostly for small game but we came accross some fresh grizzly bear tracks and spore while hunting, Since my partner had a bow, i loaded a round ball right on top of the birdshot just in case of a close encounter. We moved out of that area and did not see a bear.When we got back to the truck i set up a can and shot at it, the birdshot peppered the can and the round ball clipped the top. The recoil was harder but the gun handled it just fine. I an emergency i would not hesitate to load a roundball on top of shot, I rolled the ball down the barrel but i put 1/2 of a fiberwad on top to hold it in place. I would not take a chance of the ball moving off the load.

You have to check your state hunting regulations. In many states, using any kind of buck shot on deer is illegal. In some states, using any kind of birdshot on a deer is illegal. I know that in Illinois, only a single projectile may be used legally to take deer- NO BUCK SHOT. So, check those laws and regulations closely. :hmm: :hatsoff:

Back