• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another question on Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When everyone gets tired of me asking what may seem like unnecessary questions just throw a rock and I will sit down. I went ahead this weekend and picked up a CVA Hawkins flintlock rifle that was built several years ago and never fired. The gentleman did a great job and I am very pleased with the rifle. Now down to the question its about which flint should I use to get best sparks. I have a couple that I used in my Jukar pistol they are short but work somewhat, but very little sparks from them. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

Ideally, the flint should be the same width as the face of the frizzen and it's length should be about 3/16-1/4 inch shorter than the distance from the front of the threaded area of the cocks jaw screw to the face of a closed frizzen with the cock set at half-cock.
This will allow space for the leather/lead jaw cushion and it should allow the frizzen to be closed without hitting its face when the lock is at half-cock.

Some locks work best with the flints flat surface down (bevel up) and some work best with the flints flat surface up (bevel down).

The cutting edge of the flint should be razor sharp. If it is not, it will not produce good sparks even in the best of locks.

Latest posts

Back