• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Rebore question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If you rebore a tc renegade 54 out to 58 or62 will there be enough of a shoulder inside left to but the plug back up to? It doesnt look it to me.Mine is in the mail now to get it done. I bought a used renegade, didnt need it but bought it any way Im hooked. The bore was really bad on this one, thought I could clean it up but its a rebore what the heck, just another toy.

According to Track of the Wolf catalog, the breech plug threads in a TC 1 inch barrel (like their .54 cal TC Hawken uses) are 3/4-16UNC in size.

That thread has a minor diameter of around .624.
For a breech thread to seal, its minor diameter must be larger than the bore of the barrel. Otherwise, there will not be a full face seal between the plug and the shoulder where the bore ends.

IMO, it would not be a good idea to use these plug thread sizes with a .62 caliber bore and even a .58 caliber is pushing things to a limit that I would question.

I assume the person you sent the barrel to for the rebore would have enough knowledge to understand that the plug should have a full metal face contact to seal it?

Why not just have the rifling freshed ot to .56? If a 5/8-18 plug was used in the gun and (I don't really know) the shoulder should still butt up. Suitable diameter moulds can be had from neihandtools.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zonie and Runnball for your reply. I'll see If I can get it done to a 56. I pulled the plug myself last night, and noticed jus a small ridge of metal where the bore meets the threads. I'd like to try to freshen it out myself but it doesnt look like enough rifling to pour a lead lap and have it grab and turn. Oh well I'll figure something out.

billymas said:
If you rebore a tc renegade 54 out to 58 or62 will there be enough of a shoulder inside left to but the plug back up to? It doesnt look it to me.Mine is in the mail now to get it done. I bought a used renegade, didnt need it but bought it any way Im hooked. The bore was really bad on this one, thought I could clean it up but its a rebore what the heck, just another toy.
GM uses the 1" barrel & B/P for it's .58 & .62cals.
T/C uses the 1" barrel & B/P for its .54 & .58cals.

If you have a 1" T/C .54cal...with its patent breechplug...why would the bore be bored out larger "through" the breech area?
If T/C uses the same barrel and B/P for their .54 and .58...seems the boring stops just short of the top of the patent breech and would have no effect on the breechplug at all, regardless of which caliber it is...as the patent breech has a smaller than bore size opening at its top to begin with.

Hi Roundball! When the plug is out, on a tc 54 you can see a little ridge in front of the threads. When this gets bored out to 62 that ridge will be gone and thats where te very edge of that patent breech butted to. Im getting it bored anyway, I know the guy knows what he's doing. Maybe they do stop short so the ridge stays. I've been on this forum for a few years now, just reading things and never made a topic or reply . I'm glad to have help from all you guys thanks.

T/C Patent Breechplug

TCHawkenCaplockPatentBreechplugCrop.jpg

roundball

It is impossible to rifle a barrel is the bore does not go all the way thru.

If the new bore does not continue completely thru the barrel, and leaves a shoulder at the breech area the only way to form the rifling would be to use a "punch broach".
As punch broaches operate at extremely high force the practical length of them is very limited. Much too limited to be used to rifle a long barrel.

If a smoothbore were being made it could have the shoulder you mention (although most don't).

Round ball
The ridge of metal Im talking about is in the barrel where the plug buts to and it seals the threads off to stop corrosion. I got my plug here infront of me too.

Zonie said:
It is impossible to rifle a barrel is the bore does not go all the way thru.

If a smoothbore were being made it could have the shoulder you mention (although most don't).
Just struggling to get the image in my mind of what the issue is...I just can't "picture" the reboring getting down into the threaded section of the breech plug threads

Ah but that is precisely the subject of this post.

If the size of the rifled bore is larger than the smallest diameter of the threads root, there will be no shoulder for the breech plug (plain or patent style) to but up against and seal.

Taken to extremes, if the thread on the breech plug was a 5/8-18 and the bore was enlarged to a rifled .58 caliber the grooves might be as large as .605 in diameter.
Not only would there be little or no shoulder for the breech plug to seal against but the .605 diameter grooves would remove 40 percent of the thread.

The root diameter of a thread is the "minor diameter" and IMO, this must be larger than the groove diameter of the rifling.

I just called track of the wolf and they said the plug threads on factory tc guns are 9/16 by 20 now Im really confused. I think Ill just work on something else for now.

Billy, I don't think you've said if you're getting it re-rifled, or using it as a smooth-bore. It makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back