• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another roedeer story from GE!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't apple mush called mast? Or do I recall incorrectly ? It was a feature of the making of apple cider, I think, good smoke, Ron in FL

Hoyt said:
Good shoot'n Kirrmeister...wish I could shoot..missed 2 more bucks this past wk..1 for 4 this season...and it's not the gun I checked it twice and it's dead on.

I'm sorry about that. Hope it was a total miss, so that the bucks weren't wounded? What is the cause of the misshots? Do you have some kind of "buckfeaver" that makes your barrel shaking?

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Hoyt said:
Good shoot'n Kirrmeister...wish I could shoot..missed 2 more bucks this past wk..1 for 4 this season...and it's not the gun I checked it twice and it's dead on.

I'm sorry about that. Hope it was a total miss, so that the bucks weren't wounded? What is the cause of the misshots? Do you have some kind of "buckfeaver" that makes your barrel shaking?

Kirrmeister

They were clean misses..matter of fact including last season I'm 1 for 6..missed two bucks last yr one a real trophy for Fl.

I've killed probably more than a couple hundred deer with bow and modern guns so it's not buck fever. Although I still do get excited and my heart rate gets up when I see a deer coming towards me.

It's this open sight thing and may be a parallax problem..I may be holding the rifle one way off the bench and other ways when shooting at game. The gun has a lot of drop and will slap me under the eye if held wrong and does when I shoot at game cause I have a tendency to get my face up over the top of a stock.
I did a lot of bench shooting this summer in hopes solving the problem..but didn't. When I shoot off the bench I don't punish myself by getting my face over the stock and make sure I got my cheek on the cheek pad. Going this wk to try to figure it out before my big hunt comes up on the 17th thru 20th this month. Hope for a lot of shots during it. Only one deer allowed but place is running over with hogs and I need a good fat female or two for the freezer. No limit on them.

Another thing on my shooting this gun is it shoots high and I'm out of front sight and rear sight adjustment on it. I have to get the front sight so low in the notch that I can barely see the very tip of it for it to be on elevation wise for my average hunting ranges. The last one I missed I knew when I squeezed the trigger I was looking at too much front sight when I did but I was on the ground the wind was blowing straight to the buck and I was twisted way around to my right leaning against a stool I had strapped on a tree. I even changed my aiming point from behind his shoulder to his shoulder cause I wanted to see how these 3/1 lead to wheelweights would do thru a shoulder and flat missed everything..rushed it cause of the wind..just knew he was going to bolt any second.

Edit..as a side note..even though I'm having problems and loosing game due to using flintlocks..to me that's one of the main reasons I like them. Anybody can pick up a scoped rifle and hit what they shoot at out to hundereds of yds. But it takes skill to be good with open sights and more skill to be good with an open sight flintlock and that just adds to the sense of accomplishment when all goes right. I just need to put more time into shooting my guns and get good with them.

kirrmeister :thumbsup: I've not been on the forum for several weeks nice surprise about your success! So, you need a 'motto'

Rusty

Back