• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up another TC .50 cal Hawken just like the one I traded for about 3 months ago, only this one was a kit and it looks like the only thing done to it was the stock was stained then it was put together. The barrel was still in the white and the brass is still very rough. The bore is as slick as glass and the rest is in very good shape just never finished. Didn't get the instructions but I think I can do a lot to improve the looks. Will try to send pictures one day.

Never saw a TC kit with metal in the white. All have been blued. Wonder what the vintage is?

I have a GPR that was in the same shape. Parts put together with the stock slathered with min wax stain/finish. Never fired.

I love it when people have no respect for the stuff we love. Some great buys out there if you look around.

How about some pics?

The kit I got had the barrel in the white. the guy I got it from told me he bought it for his father in 1976.the parts were still stapled in there bags.
Ray

All the TC kit guns that I remember, were in the white. Most of the finished one's were either browned or in most cases, cold blued. Some people went to the trouble of having them hot blued. I never understood the kit deal. I can't remember the cost savings. But, I think only the Factory finished ones had Lifetime Warranty but I guess that's gone now.

The "kit deal" was to get a good solid quality rifle that didn't look like 10,000 other factory production rifles. A T/C Hawken kit was where I learned the technique to draw file a barrel.

I fully respect those that can or did make them look different, but most of the rifles that I seen where a sad attempt to make it look just like a factory rifle, but with a glossy Tru-Oil finish and streaked cold blue finish. The lock panels and edges were almost always rounded over. I guess most people(around here) was just looking for a way to extend their hunting season, and form followed function.

I'm sure there are some who made them look, more personal. I just never encountered one.

Back