• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anti-seize compound for nipple theads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Would something like Permatex anti-seize compound be a good choice for nipple threads? Thanks.

I use anti-seize on breech plugs (when I install them or in the rare event that I pull one) and nipples - also put it on the clean out screw in any rifle that has one at the breech.

Some use choke tube grease (which is almost the same thing) or various other lubes.

CalGunner said:
Would something like Permatex anti-seize compound be a good choice for nipple threads? Thanks.
It's the exact stuff I've been using for 15yrs, still on the same tube.
I'm very careful to use just a tiny bit, a toothpick dipped in the open end then lightly rubbed on the threads is plenty. A pipe cleaner is even better.
If you use too much of any kind, it's spread and possibly gunk up the flash hole it'self.

I just use some breech plug grease. Most any gun shop sells it. I also take the nipple out everytime I clean the rifle.

Some of the anti-seize products have graphite, and can be very messy. I have used Birchwood Casey, for choke tubes. It is blue, and not as messy, and works good. For years, I just used White Lithium, and it worked fine.

I use the automotive anti-seize with the copper in it! A little dab will do you!

It matches the browned finish on my rifle! :rotf: :rotf:

I remove nipples and flash hole liners on all my guns at every cleaning, so there's no need for anything any fancier than my beeswax/tallow patch lube. In nearly 50 years of blackpowder shooting, I've never had a stuck nipple or liner.

Yes, Permatex anti-seize will work fine. I have been using the same product for several years. You don't need much, so I apply it, lightly, with a small artists brush. RIG gun grease is also good. Keep your powder dry.........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would something like Permatex anti-seize compound be a good choice for nipple threads?
Absolutely. Smearing a nipple threads with Anti-seize grease is a good habit. But its a process I don't bother to follow anymore.

May not be needed.
I haven't done much percussion shooting for quite a few years. But, situation has changed and I'm using a couple these days. For all my ml rifles it has long been my practice to squirt some WD-40 into the nipple or touch hole when all other cleaning and oiling is completed.
Yesterday, I removed the nipple from a rifle last used about six months ago. Surprisingly, I found the threads had oil (WD-40) on them. Since it has penetrating qualities I shouldn't have been surprised. But, lesson is, other products are likely just overkill. Nipples can be removed if you use non-steel or iron and do it, at least, once a century.

I just have to say, way too many products being used. I only use two to clean and prep my arms and one of them is HOT water.....after 25 years, still like new.

Nipples, are easily replaced, but the treads in the rifle are not. The more friction you put on those treads, the looser they will become, and if too much pressure exists, they will be galled and a tread may be torn. The anti-seize will reduce the chances.

Rust and friction..........metals two worst enemies.

I use Shooters Choice red grease. It comes in a syringe. Haven't had any problems. :thumbsup:

The use of anti-seize is a good practice. It is also a good practice to just tighten your nipple to the point of snug. You just don't need to use the wrist breaking torque to seat the nipple on the drum or snail. That is the sure path to wear the threads out. I have had no issues with leakage and the nipple is easy to remove when I clean the gun.

Back