• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Antique beautiful curly maple fowler $275

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millford_P

32 Cal
Reaction score
For sale is an antique curly maple percussion fowler (I believe it's circa 1840-1850).
Asking $275.

Super long barrel - 47 7/8in! Overall length is 63 1/4in.

IMG_4051.jpg
I believe that this started out as a New England made flintlock, then was converted to percussion in the 1840s. You can see that a piece of wood was spliced in around the lock area (very well!) to fit a new lock. I believe that the bottom ramrod thimble is possibly reused from an older Brown Bess. This was found in an Eastern MA collection.
IMG_4053.jpgIMG_4057.jpg
IMG_4055.jpg

Barrel is in great shape, with a nice patina and little-to-no pitting. I do believe that if the bore was cleaned that it could still be a fine shooter.

IMG_4056.jpg
IMG_4061.jpg

Happy to share any additional information or photos. Also happy to show in person to anyone in Southern New England.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys,

To answer a few questions:
  • I think it was originally a flintlock due to the fact that the wood around the original lock area was replaced when a back action lock was added in, and the barrel seems like an older style (probably reused from an older gun). Could very well have always been percussion, but my gut says it was a flintlock build in the 1820s, then converted in the 40s or 50s.
  • It is a smoothbore and measures 0.648in, or about 65cal (I think).
  • I've never fired it myself, so I can't attest to it's accuracy. The bore does have some rust/pits towards the muzzle (especially in the last 10in or so), but looks much better the rest of the way down the barrel.
  • As for trades, I'd like something smaller or military related (Civil war or before). Helmets, bayonets, etc. Extra parts for building flintlocks are OK too (locks, barrels etc.).
A couple more pictures of the bore (sorry, best I can do at the moment). It does look much better in person than in the photos. I will try to take some better bore photos later this week.
IMG_4102.jpgIMG_4099.jpg

Saturday bump. It's still available! Price reduced to $275. I'd love to see this go to a good home - hoping to put the money into another project.

Latest posts

Back