• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antiqued 1858 Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't expect this personal opinion will be very popular here, but I don't see the point of "antiquing" firearms. Only people unfamiliar with firearms will mistake the results with authentic wear and tear from regular sustained use. Seems kinda like buying a new pair of Wranglers, then roughing them up and bleaching them so they don't look new. That said, it's your gun; do what you want with it. Ditto with your new Wranglers.

View attachment 315235
Soaked in white vinegar for roughly 15 minutes lightly buff with 1000 sanding sponge and hit with some ballistol.
Really simple and easy to strip the blue and the "case hardened" colors as well.
😆
That is sweeeeet. Personally, i would have left the case harded color on frame, but that’s me.
My fargo is starting to look a little rough, high points, the blue is wearing off from holster carry. If it gets real worn i may try this.

That is sweeeeet. Personally, i would have left the case harded color on frame, but that’s me.
My fargo is starting to look a little rough, high points, the blue is wearing off from holster carry. If it gets real worn i may try this.
Both mine were beat to hell from holster wear and being carried on the ranch or in the truck.
Never thought of it as antiqued but it does look snazzy new compared to how it was.
Not everyone buys these to hang on a wall or go play dress up with.
😆

@1stnamebassist what holds the loading lever in place/up..... could you snap a few pics showing that?
I took the original latch and drilled a hole in the other end of the loading lever and inserted the spring and latch in there. I also filed a deep notch along the front of the cylinder pin for the latch to seat into.

Attachments

• 72066958449__B2A7402F-F127-456C-A87C-F5324FA37EA0.jpeg
    72066958449__B2A7402F-F127-456C-A87C-F5324FA37EA0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 72058577378__C30B85E4-69F4-4B83-AAA1-30D6D691E9BA.jpeg
    72058577378__C30B85E4-69F4-4B83-AAA1-30D6D691E9BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Both mine were beat to hell from holster wear and being carried on the ranch or in the truck.
Never thought of it as antiqued but it does look snazzy new compared to how it was.
Not everyone buys these to hang on a wall or go play dress up with.
😆
Mine is with me everywhere I go. I dont call it an EDC cause everyone says they no good for EDC. Which I dont get cause a .31 to the face will get attention. So it is my GWM. Goes With Me. Pic is from gunboker when i won auction.
IMG_2134.jpeg

Last edited:
I have thought and wondered and thought some more over the years about why someone might want their BP guns to look old. Reading this thread today, it came to me that some might want their reproduction guns to look like they are an original 2-300 years old. Is that it? I can actually understand that. I mean the same idea is inherent in wearing the clothing. In use back then. Our notion of a mountain man would be askew if we pictured him out hunting with a brand new unblemished rifle. I can't believe it has taken me so very long to understand that concept.

I have thought and wondered and thought some more over the years about why someone might want their BP guns to look old. Reading this thread today, it came to me that some might want their reproduction guns to look like they are an original 2-300 years old. Is that it? I can actually understand that. I mean the same idea is inherent in wearing the clothing. In use back then. Our notion of a mountain man would be askew if we pictured him out hunting with a brand new unblemished rifle. I can't believe it has taken me so very long to understand that concept.
I kind of wanted it to look like an original Remington, for my own personal enjoyment as I can't afford a authentic one. Looks good on display even if nobody else sees it in my house. Oh, I also finished the cylinder, so it's matching the overall look now. Finished it with mustard.

I removed the factory blue and the muddy looking stock finish on my Pietta 1858 Remington. Then ground the metal grip frame smaller just a bit behind the trigger guard for more knuckle room and used Brownell's T-4 gun black solution. Not to look like an antique but just because I did not like the slick original metal finish or the sloppy applied grip stain. Have not done the cylinder yet though.
IMG_3736.JPG

I removed the factory blue and the muddy looking stock finish on my Pietta 1858 Remington. Then ground the metal grip frame smaller just a bit behind the trigger guard for more knuckle room and used Brownell's T-4 gun black solution. Not to look like an antique but just because I did not like the slick original metal finish or the sloppy applied grip stain. Have not done the cylinder yet though. View attachment 315921
Looks nice! Definitely makes it more unique; a pleasant finish indeed

Ok, i got a question. I have 2 modern, one a Rgr .22 and another.44. Both from mid 70s. Carried a lot in holsters and the blueing is beautiful as the day they were born.
Yet my Ubertis show blueing wear from holsters.
Why is that?

Ok, i got a question. I have 2 modern, one a Rgr .22 and another.44. Both from mid 70s. Carried a lot in holsters and the blueing is beautiful as the day they were born.
Yet my Ubertis show blueing wear from holsters.
Why is that?
I'm guessing the Italian bluing isn't that good in general even though Uberti is supposed to have better blued guns than Pietta, but compared to Ruger its child's play

I think Mike is on to something. An original 160 year old revolver could be in great condition. IT would be more valuable as such. There is nothing to say originals need to look abused.

I also would speculate that something as valuable a revolver would have been taken care of by the person who spent a year's savings on it. The abuse seems to come from more recent owners who did not appreciate the gun.

https://antiqueamericanfirearms.com...army-percussion-revolver-serial-number-93297/

Last edited:
Back