• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any bladesmiths here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to dabble at it. This is a D-guard Bowie I made 30+ years ago for one of my dad's friends. Yes. It's supposed to 'look old'. I'll bet nobody can guess the type wood used for the handle material.
1000005456.jpg
1000005452.jpg
1000005451.jpg

Huckleberry! Weeeellll doggies!
Yeah... Nothing was safe from my dad when he picked up a chainsaw. I was helping him clear a lot and before I realized what he was doing, a rather large huckleberry fell victim to his Stihl. I pruned it up and tossed it up in the rafters of my shop and forgot about it for a few years. When I was making that D-guard, I wondered how to handle it and recalled the huckleberry.

I used to dabble at it. This is a D-guard Bowie I made 30+ years ago for one of my dad's friends. Yes. It's supposed to 'look old'. I'll bet nobody can guess the type wood used for the handle material.
View attachment 342216View attachment 342217View attachment 342218

View attachment 342216View attachment 342217View attachment 342218
You need to "dabble" some more. Thats a nice piece.

I don't consider myself a Bladesmith, however I am a Blacksmith and have made many blades. Just don't enjoy the fiddeling/fussy finish work.
EDIT: add picture & description. Here is one a copy of a Confederate Artillery brush machete, I saw in a book once. Yes I did make the D-guard out of rebar. Does a good job cutting pizza too.:)
100_2167.JPG

Last edited:
I don't consider myself a Bladesmith, however I am a Blacksmith and have made many blades. Just don't enjoy the fiddeling/fussy finish work.
EDIT: add picture & description. Here is one a copy of a Confederate Artillery brush machete, I saw in a book once. Yes I did make the D-guard out of rebar. Does a good job cutting pizza too.:)
View attachment 345572
Wicked! Re: rebar. I once wore a hammer out on a piece of 1-inch rebar. I consider it to be in the same league as railroad spikes... :/

Back