• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any frog hunters here???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I wonder if any of you hunt frogs.

I'm going to check our regulations to see if I can use my 32 flinter this Summer.

So, who hunts frogs?

By the way, if you've never eaten fresh frog, you've not lived. :shake:

Best regards, Skychief

In my southern days I used to go after them lots. Never tried a muzzleloader, though I'm sure it would work. Sure busted a lot with a pellet rifle and dip net, though.

But even better was a fly rod with a small frog pattern popper. Holy cow, did that bring out the mean and hungry in big old bullfrogs. They'd come a long ways to grab them, and no retrieval hassles either. As a matter of fact, they put up a pretty darned good fight too! :grin:

And tasty! :thumbsup:

It's been a little more than 5 years ...but I use to gig them from a canoe....Lots of fun at night.....When I was younger we would shoot them with a BB/pellet gun at night....but that's probably not legal.... :grin:

I lived in Oklahoma when I was in the service and we hunted frogs a lot, either a gig or caught them by hand. Gun makes too much noise and is not needed.

In Oklahoma, they cleaned the entire frog and cooked them whole, they did not just take the legs. If you skin a frog and a squirrel and lay them side by side they are almost identical.

Smaller frogs are more tender to eat. Soak them in salt water overnight, broil them with butter and Paprika, only takes a few minutes on each side to cook them. Melt butter with a touch of lemon juice and eat them like lobster, drawn through the melted butter.

That sounds good. Going to have to try that. I usually either use a gig or a low draw weight bow and get them either from a kayak/canoe, or by walking the shore line at night.

crockett said:
What do their ears look like?
Just fun'n
mJpGBTl.jpg

When I was a kid we used to huntem with a slingshot! Or a frog gig when the slingshot was out of the question. Back then I rarely missed with a slingshot!!! :rotf:

"Back then I rarely missed with a slingshot!!!"

When I worked on the Docks in Galveston, TX, I carried a sling shot in my truck. I hunted pigeons in the warehouses while they worked and gave them to the guys.

That stopped when I found the cleaned pigeons in the Igloo drinking water cooler.

I've never used anything but a light and a gig for them.

When I was young, I gigged any frog, not just bullfrogs, when my hands were itching bad, my partner said, "Let me see your frogs." He found leopard frogs in there too and told me they were the cause of the itching.

I wised up. But he made a grave mistake one night and gigged a cottonmouth by mistake. :shocked2:

My 12 yo son wanted to gig a coon once. I explained the folly of that idea.

We used a spring loaded gig to catch them, it did not hurt them. They did not bleed every where from the holes from a 3 pointed gig and they were easy to get out of jaws.

I left snakes alone and let them wander off. Gigging snakes makes as much sense as gigging a stingaree. Once you have it penned down, what do you do with either one?

One night I was hunting with a new fellow and he panicked at the sight of a cotton mouth. He started screaming kill the snake and kept on, I told him this not what you want to hear.

I pulled the pistol from behind me and shot the snake, a .357 sure is loud at night, especially when you are on property you are not to be on.

Richard Eames said:
...hunting with a new fellow and he panicked at the sight of a cotton mouth. He started screaming kill the snake and kept on....

Whole lot of folks react that way to big bears. They don't get to make a second trip into the bushes with me.

Then there's the other extreme. In my shallow youth I used to do some guiding. It was hot country, and sure, there were a few rattlesnakes here and there. These two clients showed up armed with pistols "for snake protection." A few hours into the trip they were getting pizzed that we weren't seeing any rattlers. Halfway through the day they went looking for them, getting madder and madder that there weren't any. Late in the day they got into their flasks and found perfect happiness shooting at the sounds of locusts in the bushes. Made my day almost. They finished my day when they stiffed my tip and their check bounced.

Funny the lessons you have to learn about people in your youth, but they're put to good use later in life. :hatsoff:

I'm assuming you're talking about the amphibian and not the French. Frogs have the tendency to hop when struck and end up in the water and that might be a problem. Otherwise it sounds like a lot of legitimate fun plus you certainly can eat what you shoot.

Years ago I duck hunted a lot, I took my Father's partner's son and his friend on a hunt.

As we sat in the marsh, they could see ducks going into a pond in the distance and wanted to go there.

With resistance I said okay, and we headed off.
After a bit the sky turned black to the north and told them we have to leave NOW. They did not want to leave, I started for my truck, the weather caught us in the open marsh. The weather turned brutal, one guy was ready to commit suicide. I took his shotgun and pressed on.

On the way to the truck I picked up 2 snow geese which were grounded by the wind. Nothing wrong with, they could not fly with such high winds, they were hunkered down for protection. I carried them back and put them in the camper, got a beer and sat in the truck. Turned on the radio
and the news said the winds had been clocked to 90 mph where I was.

I do not hunt with folks I do not know anymore.

Never did with a ML. But killed probably thousands with BB, pellets, and gigs. Wife and I used to visit a Park Service retreat on the Blue ridge parkway above Bedford in VA. Friday nights they had a "SEA FOOD" buffet, which had frog legs (ranch raised). That's all I ever put on my plate.

BrownBear said:
... They finished my day when they stiffed my tip and their check bounced.

Funny the lessons you have to learn about people in your youth, but they're put to good use later in life. :hatsoff:

Ain't that the truth!

I've never had frog legs. Sounds like I'm missin' some good eats. :hmm:

YEP. You ARE missing out on some really great eating.
(When both of us were in grad school at Tulane & trying to go to school on my GI Bill & her 400.oo per semester scholarship, we ate a LOT of frog legs, self-caught shrimp, crawfish, catfish & crabs. Plus nutria, squirrels, rabbits & other critters. = We did NOT feel deprived having to live largely on what we could spear, hook, shoot, etc. & supplemented with a great deal of rice/beans/coffee/iced tea.)

Note: In those long ago days/DAZE, our "big weekly extravagance" was going downtown to have beignets/coffee, read the Sunday PICAYUNE & "people watch".

Btw, a pistol crossbow with a reel full of fishing line is an excellent collector for frogs & certain other critters. =====> Just do NOT gig/spear a cottonmouth, while you're out hunting.

yours, satx

Back