• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any frog hunters here???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used anything but a light and a gig for them.

One year one a trip to New Orleans we decided to take secondary roads to the city. Much of our driving was at night. We saw many thousands of lights in the swamps/bayous all the way down. Gigging frogs is a big part of life in the bayous for many who live in Lousiana.

Accidently gigging a cottonmouth....yeah, did that once...just once. That was enough. We were in a canoe at night and I had a long handled gig (thank goodness). No moon and it was dark, dark, dark. The only light was from my lantern. It had a shield on it to keep from blinding yourself. It was the same one I used when gigging for flounder. When I saw what I had gigged it scared the manure out of me. I was using a thee pronged barbed gig and I had all three prongs stuck in that snake. He was unhappy. I worked and worked and scraped and scraped that gig against everything in sight to get that damned snake off my gig. Finally, I got him off and he immediately swam away. Probably died from his wounds later. After that, I was a bit more careful in what I stuck my gig into.

I do love those fried frog legs. I batter and fry them just like chicken or squirrels. I haven't gigged a frog in a number of years. Now I just buy a few at my local grocery....when they have them. Kind of pricy so I don't get them very often.

Ya know....I haven't ever tried nutria. I've heard of folks in Louisiana eating them but have never had the opportunity to try any myself. Maybe I'll get a chance one day.

Nutria (Called: RATS in south LA) taste just like good-quality PORK when cooked.
(Like pigs, the young ones are BEST & are GREAT when BBQed.)

yours, satx

There's a whole bunch of tropical rodents that taste good I'm told. From agoutis to capybaras (huge) to the one that all the Hondurans and Ticos like the best .. pacas.

Last summer a buddys and his girl "caught" (by hand :shocked2: ) a bunch of big frogs on the Verde river. We smoked the legs. BETTER than fried (but not much). As a young dumb teen I would shoot em with a 12 GA in stock tanks.

Otter is not bad, we had some in Brazil while fishing.

My Grandmother was telling me that there was not a lot of animals left around Mendon, La. at the end of the depression. I asked why, she said we ate them

I was a young man of about 15 and we lived in an area that was drained by many flowing ditches which were full of bullfrogs (and some fish). My buddies and I would hunt them with my
Crossman .22 pellet rifle. One night on the way home from a hunt one of my friends said "bet you cant hit that street light down there. Well I aimed hastily from the hip and let fly and turned to walk away. To my everlasting surprise we heard a pop and sizzz about 150 yards away and the light went out. A once in a life time happening. Am I a delinquent?

yes, I've both gigged and shot with pellet rifle frogs. a strong light immobilizes them it seems. quietly as possible pole the jon boat close and shoot the head or spear them, good eating.

Sure do chief! While I'd never hunt them with anything other than a gig, I'd think even a .32 is going to cause big damage to their little bodies if you don't get a clean headshot.

To my surprise, my toddler absolutely loved frog and asked for seconds the last time I fried legs!

Back