• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any idea how to remove the sling swivel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am restoring a near relic French 1777 an IX dragoon musket and the swivels are seized. I wouldn't mind but the previous owner bent and broke them. Is there a secret to removing these and installing new ones assuming rifle shoppe has them?

Attachments

• PXL_20240916_201452025.jpg
    PXL_20240916_201452025.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240916_201458378.jpg
    PXL_20240916_201458378.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
You'll probably have to saw off the swivel loop and drill out and tap a new retaining screw hole through the barrel band extension. This of course, makes it a "non-original" and invalidates its "collectibilty". I'm guessing since you say you're "restoring" it that's probably not an issue.

You could do reverse electrolysis on it to remove all the rust. From it's condition, it may need to be kept in the bath for a week or more, you would just need to take it out and brush it occasionally to check progress.
It would remove all the patina too, so would need re-aged. If you don't mind losing the patina, I would try this first. You could try dropping it in some Ed's Red and see if it loosens up. It would need to soak a week or two probably.

You could do reverse electrolysis on it to remove all the rust. From it's condition, it may need to be kept in the bath for a week or more, you would just need to take it out and brush it occasionally to check progress.
It would remove all the patina too, so would need re-aged. If you don't mind losing the patina, I would try this first. You could try dropping it in some Ed's Red and see if it loosens up. It would need to soak a week or two probably.
I would try to soak it if it weren't already messed up but the swivel is cracked on one side and should be almost flat to the band and they've bent it.

You'll probably have to saw off the swivel loop and drill out and tap a new retaining screw hole through the barrel band extension. This of course, makes it a "non-original" and invalidates its "collectibilty". I'm guessing since you say you're "restoring" it that's probably not an issue.
It's funny; guy finds a totally rusted classic auto in a barn, with animal nests and neglect, does a complete full restoration, and it's a valuable gem! But re-blue one screw on an old 19th C. gun, and it's a worthless piece of junk! 🧐

It's funny; guy finds a totally rusted classic auto in a barn, with animal nests and neglect, does a complete full restoration, and it's a valuable gem! But re-blue one screw on an old 19th C. gun, and it's a worthless piece of junk! 🧐
yeah I didn't bother commenting on that. Lol. I find those people amusing. I doubt I could get $300 for it the way it is but after I restore it I will get more than twice that. It speaks for itself, it's better to restore it than leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back