• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any idea who made this rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've not been able to identify any marking on the top barrel flat. Lock is marked Joseph Golcher. Looks to be about 36-38 caliber. I'm in Ohio and to me it looks like one of many other rifles that were made in the Mid West in the last half of the 19th century. Other than the crack in the wrist the stock is very solid and the rifle points very naturally. I'm actually thinking of trying a restoration. I've no idea what the original triggerguard would have looked like though.
KIMG0595.JPG
KIMG0594.JPG
KIMG0593.JPG
KIMG0592.JPG

Not sure if it helps but I have pics of one similar on a thread I started in April 2022 here. Its titled Joseph gulcher rifle, I believe. May be able to get an idea of the parts missing on yours. Ill try to link the thread but I've never done that b4

Restoration's quite possible b/c you have the basic parts and the stock appears to be salvageable. Now whether or not it can be restored into a shooter is more a question of what you want to spend in time, effort, and how difficult that back action lock will be to work with. There are knowledgeable people on this forum who enjoy helping. Take it slow and enjoy owning a piece of American frontier history.

Latest posts

Back