• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any long-range shooters here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting the itch again, and while I probably can't afford a Pedersoli Gibbs, I might be able to gather the scratch for a Euroarms Volunteer or Whitworth. I'm aware of David Minshall's LRML site, but thought I would just see if there are any LR shooters here at Claude's house.

Yep, there is at least one. I have a Peter Allan box lock with a .45 Badger barrel. I took it to Oak Ridge and Friendship. the gun will shoot much better than I can dope wind. I use a 540 gr paper patch bullet swaged with a Corbin Walnut Hill swage. This spring I plan to change loads by switching to Swiss ffg. The goal will by 1250 to 1300 fps with as small a variation as I can get.

Regards,
Pletch

If you wanted to build your own, you can get a Volunteer barrel/breech for about $300 from Hoyt.

Dan

I don't myself but I really enjoy reading about such shooting and appreciate what it takes to get expert at it.

I'm here too! :)

Off to Bisley for five days in a little over a week. A group of us are meeting up for some practice on Wed/Thur/Fri next week shooting in the mornings at 600, 900 and 1000 yards (one distance each day). The following Saturday we have the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB Annual 1000 yard Championship (30 shots to count). Then Sunday is the MLAGB National 500 yard Rifle Championships with events for match rifles and Enfield rifles.

Joe Hepsworth along with a couple of others I think from the US are coming over, plus at the weekend maybe 5+ from France and a couple from Holland.

David

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Pletch: Didn't know you posted here. I think you might have sent me a photo of your Allen Boxlock-based target rifle a year or so ago. Glad you are still enjoying it. I'll have to see if I still have the photo(s) on my confuser. Can't recall, but did you make the stocks or buy them preshaped? The boxlock route may be one of the least expensive ways to get shooting at long range.
David, I just heard from Joe Hepsworth that he is going over to Bisley early so he can get in some practice rounds. Hope you fellas have good weather.

About as far as I go is 300 yards. But that is with a renegade GM hybred. Ron

I have a Volunteer that is very accurate. It took a bit of experimenting to get the most out of it. I shoot a 540 gr. lubed bullet and swiss 2f. With that combination it can be shot in any of the long range matches at Friendship with confidence. My shooting buddy also just boughht a Volunteer, he is still working on a load and it is coming right along. Another project he put together was a TC Renegade with a junk barrel he bought cheep. He replaced the barrel with a GM 1 in 18,34 inch .Using the 540 gr. lubed bullet it will shoot MOA from bench rest at 100 yds. That barrel is the same that is used on the Pecatonica River Rigby kit. As soon as I sell another of my center fire toys I think the Rigby will be my next project. Long range shooting can be a ball and you must trust your spotter. Whatever you end up, I'm sure you will have fun. :)

Add my Volunteer to this list , I use to do some out to 1,000 yd shooting out back of here, but the kids havent cleaned around the targets lately.( 50 gal drums)took a lot of work and paper patched bullets to get it right on target but others have done it without. Fred :hatsoff:

BillinOregon said:
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Pletch: . . . . Can't recall, but did you make the stocks or buy them preshaped? The boxlock route may be one of the least expensive ways to get shooting at long range.

Bill,
My wood came preshaped from Don Stith I think. There was plenty of wood remaining to slim down. I probably left too much wood on.

Regards,
Pletch

Started the LR muzzleloader shooting about 3 years ago with a GM barrelled Renegade. Heavy charges and the light weight made it tough to shoot all day. So I put together another one with a #6 .45 GM barrel and underhammer lock last year. Been enjoying it ever since. I shot GG bullets last year and am now experimenting with PP bullets. Good luck with yours, Frank M.

Bill,
I'm not sure this is going to work, but hopefully a photo will come thru. Both of these rifles have been shot out to 1000 yards. I use a Grease Groove bullet 540 gr. and 100 gr of Swiss 1.5 They both have platinum lined nipples. The Renegade on the bottom has a 1" GM 1:18" twist barrel. The underhammer barrel is 1.300" across the flats and weighs just under 15 lbs. The rear sights are made by Parts Unknown. I had to make a riser for the front sights as the rears were too high to shoot at 200 yards. Frank M.

Dsc02497.jpg

Dang, Frank! That PG on your Renegade looks like it's patterned on the steel PG found on some Trapdoors. I have one on my Trapdoor and like it.
The underhammer looks way more comfortable to shoot with all that steel out there in the barrel. Is it essentially a Hopkins and Allen action?
Have you shot either of your rifles at Oak Ridge, or in LRML competition?
Thanks for posting the photos.

Dan,
The breechplug was removed from the original .54 cal barrel and reused. I soaked it in Kroil for a couple weeks before trying to unscrew it. Came off easy. FM

David Minshall said:
I'm here too! :)

Off to Bisley for five days in a little over a week. A group of us are meeting up for some practice on Wed/Thur/Fri next week shooting in the mornings at 600, 900 and 1000 yards (one distance each day). The following Saturday we have the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB Annual 1000 yard Championship (30 shots to count). Then Sunday is the MLAGB National 500 yard Rifle Championships with events for match rifles and Enfield rifles.

Joe Hepsworth along with a couple of others I think from the US are coming over, plus at the weekend maybe 5+ from France and a couple from Holland.

David
And 3 from Jersey

Bill,
I have one of the Trapdoor pistol grips also, so copied it in walnut to put on the Renegade stock. It does help managing the rifle easier. I've added one to another Renegade set up as an offhand round ball gun.

The underhammer is much more comfortable to shoot then the Renegade. But it is strictly shot off of cross sticks in NRA black powder target rifle competitions. The action is one I was able to get from Bruce at Blue Grouse. So it is a very close copy of the H + A. The breech plug is threaded into both the action and barrel so in theory easy to disassemble, but I've not done so since putting it together. Although the picture does not show, the barrel was browned.

I shot it last year in NRA competitions against Black powder cartridge rifles at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yards. I used it at an NRA regional held at Quantico, VA and Camp Butner, NC. I did not attend Oak Ridge as they do not shoot using cross sticks but use the international wrist rest position. This rifle is too heavy to shoot that way. I've attached a 300 yard target shot with it last summer. Frank M.

DSC02499.jpg

Latest posts

Back