• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any long-range shooters here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JJ,
The 600 yard target (U.S.) is 36" dia bull with X, 10, 9, 8, 7 rings in the black. The long range target is 44" dia bull with X, 10, 9, 8 rings in the black. The target frames are 72" X 72".

The International target is the Vbull target. The long range is 48" dia. and I don't remember exactly, but the 600 yard is slightly larger then the U.S. decimal target. The scoring rings are V, 5, and 4 in the black. The international target frames are larger also. FM

The reason I ask, is I just had Bobby Hoyt put a .458 liner one turn in 20" in my Lyman GPR .54 barrel. I was wondering about the strength of the breechplug. I don't intend to hotrod the loads.

Dan

Dan: I can't vouch for the breech plug, but you will want a platinum-lined nipple to avoid rapid burnout and possibly dangerous hammer blowback. Rick Weber and Joe Hepsworth at J. Cunard both offer them.

Bill,
No, the bullet is a custom mold made by Fred Leeth, (Pioneer Products) I think the mold number is LRML .451. It looks like the Postell but drops at .451" dia. I size it to .450. FM

The targets used in the UK and in international competition are the standard NRA(GB) full-bore (high power) rifle targets. Full dimensions can be found on the MLAGB web site .

The 600 yard target measures 70" wide x 60" high.
Aiming mark is 39" dia with a 13" dia bull and 7.8" dia v-bull (x-ring).

900 and 1000 yards both use the same target. 118" wide and 70" high.
Aiming mark 48" dia with a 24" dia bull and 14.4" dia v-bull.

Scoring rings are 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. V-bulls are used for tie-breaking.

David

Dan: I can't vouch for the breech plug, but you will want a platinum-lined nipple to avoid rapid burnout and possibly dangerous hammer blowback. Rick Weber and Joe Hepsworth at J. Cunard both offer them.
I am just a few minutes away from J Cunard and Co. I did not realize he was into long range shooting. Man! Now I really have to get my fanny over to his shop.

Bill

I've heard that as well, but then I also heard from another shooter who has done the same thing, that with 70 or 80 grains and a light for bore bullet, like a 330 or 350, that there is no appreciable nipple damage. It's only when you start pushing 500 grainers behind heavier loads that the nipples start to burn out quickly.

Dan

Yes, in my .451" Navy Arms Creedmoor (Rigby copy) I use the Lyman 457121PH (470gns) & a similar nose-pour custom bullet (455gns) with 65gns of Goex 2Fg & get good nipple life from standard steel & s/steel nipples.

greetings frank,

how did you place ar the matchs??? are your ml's doing as good as your lr bpcr's??

thanks, ..ttfn..grampa..

PS... most people know of v-bull or frank. for those of you who don't, frank is a world champion long range shooter with bpcr and ml's. wish i could do half as good at 100 yds as he does at 1000. :(

.tt.g.

Hello xxgrampa,
Good to hear from you.
Did quite well at the Last World Championship in South Africa last spring using a cartridge gun. But there were several shooters using the Pedersoli Gibbs and a couple original Rigbys.
I drifted back over to muzzleloaders after the match for something different to shoot. And have found the muzzleloaders to be every bit as accurate as the black powder breechloaders. The only drawback to using a muzzleloader is the time away from the spotting scope while reloading. Missing condition changes downrange and shooter fatigue from breaking position between shots adds up in the long run.

Otherwise I'm enjoying these rifles and getting a good workout shooting. Take care, FM

Say Vbull: I was poring over your underhammer photos again and got to wondering if you adapted the buttstock from an H&R HandiRifle take-off, as the pistol grip shape and the wood grain looked familiar. If so, what an elegantly simple solution, as they are already drilled for the excellent through-bolt attachment.

Spent five days last week shooting long range at Bisley. There were two matches at the weekend and a group of us (varying from 9 to 12) met up for a few days earlier for some informal LR practice. We shot mornings only; Wednesday 600yds, Thursday 900yds, Friday 1000yds. Much of the time we shoot matches so opportunity to spend some time trying new loads or brushing up on technique was welcomed.

Saturday was the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB's annual 1000 yard championship - 32 shooters took part with 28 returning score cards! Weather was warm and sunny with a fresh 2 o'clock wind. Course of fire was 30 shots with three convertible sighters. Competitors came from throughout mainland UK, plus Jersey, France, Holland and USA. I was pleased with my 5th place.

1 P.Senior (GB) 108.4 (Metford)
2 J.Hepsworth (USA) 108.2 (Ingram)
3 D.Personnic (Fr) 104.3 (Repro. Rigby)
4 J.Mallarme (Fr) 99.4 (Whitworth)
5 D.Minshall (GB) 98.3 (Pedersoli Gibbs)

Sunday was the MLAGB National 500 yard rifle championships with matches for free rifle and Enfield rifle. Again, another warm sunny day and 3 o'clock gusting wind. Course of fire is 10 shots with three convertible sighters. With these relatively short courses of fire there is no scope for error. I was delighted that my wife Kim won the free rifle match, but won't mention my performance! 34 shooters took part.

1 K.Minshall (GB) 44 (Pedersoli Gibbs)
2 M.Lavalette (France) 42.1 (Custom rifle)
3 P.Senior (GB) 42 (Metford)
4 N.Washington (GB) 41.2 (Pedersoli Gibbs)
5 C.Kalfsvel (Holland) 41.1 (Pedersoli Gibbs)

The Enfield rifle match results were:

1 P.Senior (GB) 30 (Original)
2 P.Wolpe (GB) 28.1 (Original)
3 J.Womble (GB) 28 (P-H 1858 Repro)
4 M.Hall (GB) 26 (P-H 1858 Repro)
5 M.Mott (GB) 26 (Original)

After five days shooting it's nice to have a rest. Next match is in Derbyshire in June, an aggregate of ten shots at each distance 200, 300 and 400 yards.

David

It was nice to see three original match rifles in the top five at long range.

David

Latest posts

Back