• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

any problems when using rem #11

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george tennant

32 Cal.
Reaction score
after 20 years not shooting bp revolver ,back in the game got used ROA and new 1851 navy, installed tresco nipples,had 1 tin rem#11 caps they fit snug on both guns ,cant find any#10s anywhere,so orderd 5k of #11(while have money, plant close lose job soon) havent fired either gun yet.anyproblems with the shorter #11 falling off or fragmenting and peices jamming up the gun, or othere problems?20 years ago had c.v.a caps jam gun up from fragments falling in gun .cva quality back then on anything wansnt to good to me, just did not know if that was the nature of the beast or junk caps

I never did care for remingtons in my T/C hawken, I used CCI Magnum caps. But I haven't shot a caplock in about 10 years

I've had real good luck with the same combination. Never did like the CCIs.

I used to use Remington caps and had no problems. I just recently got back into blackpowder and no Remington caps available anywhere in my area. You shoot with CCI or you don't shoot. They work pretty good but once in a while it takes a second lick to get things to go. The #10's seem to be a little snug but the #11's are bad about falling off. This is on more than one gun too. I use a capper and it works to seat the caps firmer than I can with my fingers.

in all my percussion mzzleloaders and cap&ball revolvers i use those german VORDELANDER ZUNHUTCHEN caps.

the remington caps don't stay on good in the revolvers, and come off too easily on the rifles and muzzleloading handguns in my opinion.

the german caps are more expensive sometimes,but are worth it. i even use the V.Z. musket caps on my muskets.

the only thing i ever found the remington caps useful for is sighting in a rifle. that way, you don't really have to worry about it falling off and missing a deer and you don't use up the good german caps!

nightwolf1974 said:
in all my percussion mzzleloaders and cap&ball revolvers i use those german VORDELANDER ZUNHUTCHEN caps.

the remington caps don't stay on good in the revolvers, and come off too easily on the rifles and muzzleloading handguns in my opinion.

the german caps are more expensive sometimes,but are worth it. i even use the V.Z. musket caps on my muskets.

the only thing i ever found the remington caps useful for is sighting in a rifle. that way, you don't really have to worry about it falling off and missing a deer and you don't use up the good german caps!

Sir, your note about using 'VORDELANDER ZUNHUTCHEN' caps does not tell us who made them. The words are actually 'Vorderlader Zundhutschen' - the German words for muzzle-loading percussion caps.

Is there no maker's name on the container? Mine are made by RWS, for instance, part of Dynamit-Nobel.

tac

I'm sure he's speaking of RWS caps.

As you know, they have been known as one of the hottest caps available and having shot a number of them and CCI Magnum caps I think they still are. :thumbsup:

tac said:
nightwolf1974 said:

Sir, your note about using 'VORDELANDER ZUNHUTCHEN' caps does not tell us who made them. The words are actually 'Vorderlader Zundhutschen' - the German words for muzzle-loading percussion caps.

Is there no maker's name on the container? Mine are made by RWS, for instance, part of Dynamit-Nobel.

tac

sorry,i always call them "the german caps". i just love and always use them.

Back