• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI #11 caps - a REAL hazard!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Trapper said:
If I was in your situation, I'd take some pictures of the amount of caps you have, some pictures of the problem and then write a letter to CCI. A copy of the receit for the purchase of those caps wouldn't hurt. I am sure if they are in fact defect, CCI will make things right. Oh, and by all means include the lot number in your letter. They by now may already know they have a problem with that lot number.

Good plan, already put in motion, thanks.

I've just found a dealer with some RWS #11! Trouble is, there's a $40 HAZMAT charge no matter how many - or how few - I want to buy off him.

tac

tac
I'll take your word for the damage you received from these caps but after viewing dozens of photos of the ROA I can't figure out how you managed to get cap fragments in your face.

It looks to me like the entire rear of the gun is covered by the recoil shield or the hammer as the gun fires, much like a Remington New Army.

It also looks like the hammer would have to blow back over 3/8 inch before the nose which extends down thru the frame could open to the point that any fragment could escape towards your face.

Anyway, all I can suggest is that you buy yourself a pair of high quality, thin, leather gloves and wear them while you burn up your new caps.

That at least will protect your hand. :)

FYI there a 2 types of RWS 11s short for revolvers and long for rifles , putting longs o

nto a revolver can get interesting :) shorts can go on a rifle nipple.

Interesting. I switched to CCI #11 magnum caps about 8 years ago after having a few dud Remington caps. In that time, I don't recall EVER having a dud (though I must have, it's just my memory fails me). I wonder if they've changed something in their quality control... ironically enough, now that I swear by the CCI caps, I can't find them in my local area. Had to buy Winchester caps, which I've not seen before - are they any good?

For what it's worth I have had a similar, though much less serious, problem with bits of primer and cap on my left hand and wrist when shooting at least one SxS (left barrel only). Occasionally this drew blood, and gave a rash.

I adjusted pretty quickly by wearing a glove (knot polypro actually) and a long shirt sleeve on my left arm. RWS, CCI (magnum and standard), and Winchester all do it.

Never had anything to my face of right hand (which is under the gun).

1601phill said:
FYI there a 2 types of RWS 11s short for revolvers and long for rifles , putting longs o

nto a revolver can get interesting :) shorts can go on a rifle nipple.

Hmm, interesting. I shot extensively in Germany for over eight years when we lived there, and also here since, and didn't know that. But then, when I bought my RWS caps, I bought them for a revolver, and not a rifle of any kind. My rifles use musket caps, BTW.

tac

Back