• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anybody shooting .50 cal pa pellet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nothing bad to say about the gun, I am sure it is a well made gunbut when one reads the following...

". The "magnum" pellet rifle has the capibility of putting a .45 caliber round downrange with the energy at 200 yards that a blackpowder .45 rb would have at 60 or so yds"

It begs one to take a close look at what we call traditional ML guns and maybe look at the whole picture before we call such a gun and its components"traditional" if this stlye of gun and combo of loads and the resulting ballistics can be considered "traditional"I would suspect that whoever decided to hang our most beloved descriptive term for ML's on it must have fell out of the idjit tree and hit every limb on the way to the ground.

Traditional...or modern...theres always purests...thats fine...some of us just want to get in the game and play. The first opening day I hunted I had a leather biker jacket with an orange vest and ski bibs!!!Traditional? Hell, it was for me!!!! I was happy to be in the woods....and I'm happy for anyone that gets in the game anyway they can!Now lets fins out if we can shoot pellets and sabots out of this gun! :thumbsup:

"Traditional...or modern...theres always purests"

it has nothing to do with purests, just proper nomenclature based on common sense, logic and an understanding of ML hunting as it has devolved.

The sub-title to this forum does say "Keeping Tradition Alive". Some of us take that seriously. Sabots aren't very traditional, and none of the rifles that launch them are, either. Not to say that they aren't good guns or good projectiles--just not traditional. Purist or not, I would think tradition is still a very important component of muzzleloading, especially on this forum.

That was my point exactly..saying that a gun or component is not traditional is not a slam or bash just an observation, it does not indicate the object is "bad" however some folks get real upset when this observation is brought forth, even when told that the gun is a good gun, but asking for a bit of discretion in the terminolgy used so as to keep the old and new from melding together descriptively untill there is no distinction between the two.

Trkdriver99 said:
It is a flint "inline". So much for tradition.

Ronnie

:haha: that was pretty good. I liked that.

I have one of those plastic stock cva bobcats, is it traditional? Well, no, not with the plastic stock it isnt. But i honestly would rather see a plastic stock caplock/flintlock than the other type of plastic stock rifle.

The only thing thats buggin me on this topic is the pellets and sabots. :nono:

I agree with TG and Rus T Frizzen. and thats what I am more into, the Tradition of BP muzzle loaders in their Hayday. That's why most of y'all discuss the period style rifles and musket flintlocks.

My $.02 :blah:

This is not directed towards anybody in particular,but if some are offended then they might wonder why they were offended. Not all potential hunters or shooters of BP have a grand or so at hand to embark on this adventure. Some of these guns are a good way to break into the sport. Flint ignition, load from the muzzle, and even have a ramrod hangin underneath the barrel. Now I'll be the first to admit , they are not my idea of traditional, but they are a muzzleloader. I think we need to come down off our collective high horse and quit looking down our noses and offer sound advice to newbies that are contemplating joining our ranks. And just a thought to kick aroud , How much difference is there between a patch and a sabot ? Both seal the bore, protect the ball from hot gasses, engage the rifleing. How about we give up our patches and just bare ball it from now on. Now that said, I shoot a PRB in .50 with round bottom rifleing in a Penn. long rifle, shoot from the pouch, and wear a frock when I hunt, but I still have enough flexibility to share the woods with someone who is starting down this path. With gentle suggestions and explanations one is more apt to listen and learn, the old 2x4 along side the head tends to slow down the learning process. This response is not my usual but of late the forum has alrmed me, alot of bickering, I hope it is just cabin fever.

" This response is not my usual but of late the forum has alrmed me"

I would have to agree except it is the subject matter of many of the post that alarm me. if some one thinks it is a good thing when they make a ML that has the same energy at 200 yds as a RB gun does at 60 the whole point of Ml hunting has been missed there are many similar examples as well all with a thin "traditional" veil pulled over them,way to much of the new is being injected into the old if we are going to "Keep the tradition alive"......sometimes I think that little catch phrase should not be there.

i'm almost sorry that i brought up this question. all and all i was just lookin for some suggestions on loads for this rifle. i understand it is not traditional but "traditional style" there is a difference for sure. but in buying this gun a year ago i have opened a door that my wife fears will hold my interest for a long while. now in buying this gun i am looking for a true traditional gun..no camo or fiber optic sites..she sees more money but what fun is money if you don't spend it. so i guess traditional or traditional style it has most certainly opened my eyes to your world here and i love it. honestly lets white flag :surrender: this thing and hope that other people who break into the sport as i did stumble in by buying a "traditional style" and fall in love with tradition.

Bentfork, you have nothing to be sorry about, your question seemed sincere and genuine. You deserved the same in your answers. I am sure in this path you have started down you will find much enjoyment. Not all people enter this sport or hobby at the same point. I was fortunate that from an early age I was subject to history and firearms, so my appreciation of it started much differently than some. Some start much later in life and the learning curve is different. Good luck in your journey and shoot straight!!!

Did you ever get the information you originally sought? There actually is a wealth of it and experience from the folks at this forum and everyone is usually quite helpful in sharing it.

Hello everyone. I thought I would chime in on this thread. I am very new to muzzleloaders and also to this forum. Like the starter of this thread I just wanted to get into the sport and also bought a PA Pellet Rifle. I have enjoyed shooting it and also got a deer with it a few weeks ago. My interest has been sparked, and now I'm looking at more "traditional" options to get further into muzzleloading and, yes, more into the nostalgia of it. My only point is that when buying my first muzzleloader I didn't really know much and was just looking for a starter rifle that was easy to use. The PA Pellet gun fit the bill and got me into the sport, and that's what I needed. It's actually a fun rifle to shoot and I'm sure I'll get years of use out of it even if I do buy other more traditional muzzleloaders in the future, which I know I will. As for the original question, I used two 50gr. 777 pellets, 4fg to prime, and 245gr. powerbelts. The deer I shot acted like it got hit by a bomb. Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

I am amazed that you are getting the powder to ignite unless you are putting 5-10 grains of FFFg Black Powder down the barrel FIRST.

Directions said to prime the touch hole too, which I do. I never had a failure to ignite the main charge.

ive been having to use pyrodex p in my great plains flintlock and 20 grains 4f under 70 grains pyrodex p is a good target shooting load. No delay unless i accidently over charge. Really need to save up some $$$ and buy 25lbs goex.

Back