• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody Squirrel hunt much this year?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, I didn't get out one time, yet. I kept meaning too, but dove season came in and then bow season and Ijust never made it out. I still have 2 weeks though, I still want to go out though.

Going tomorrow afternoon if I don't have to load out any hay. Suppose to be 42 tomorrow. :grin: First time this season. Larry

I have been in Korea for the last 13 months, no squirrel hunting here, although they do have some funny looking black squirrels with long hair on their ears. I get home 1 Feb and the season in GA doesn't end till the 28th, I plan on hunting every day of it. Chris

Squirrel hunting has always been my greatest (hunting) passion especially with black powder having two dedicated squirrel rifles. However this year was kind of a bust. Weather, family commitments, and to be honest, a not so great population of critters. I did get out a few times but shot very few. I must admit though, that I had wonderful days wandering the autumn colored hills that love so much.

Vern

I made more trips after squirrels than anything, this year. Our season is long and I love hunting them, so I indulged myself. I find it more practical and pleasant to hunt squirrels in period kit than any other game, so I make a lot of day-long treks and hunt squirrels for my lunch. Used a variety of guns, hunted in weather hot and cold, wet and dry, and had a ball every hunt, even those when I came up empty handed.

Spence

I've been out maybe once a week for a few hours. Haven't gotten any since New Years Day. They seem wary & scarce. I do see some tracks in the snow; it has been cold here lately. This time of year it seems I have to put more time in, to bag any, than I would have spent in the fall.

Yes sir, I have saved a few acorns lives this year. I got me a four year old I'm training up. Little fellar was a bit sad because he thought them tree rats looked a little like his Chihuahua. :rotf: After, A few breakfasts of nut hiders, gravy and biscuts he's good to go now. I got to know from you fellars, any of you or family members ever eat squirrel brains? :shocked2: HA, my old grandma did, she would almost whip you if you shot a squirrel in the head. I never could do it with them or any other brain. She tried a few times to slip some in my scrambled eggs, but I could smell the difference. :barf:

Scruffy little squirrels in my area. Not really worth the trouble.

Ain't that the truth! I shoot one occasionally for the tails for streamers and flys.

The fox squirrels out here on the flats are big enough to eat but not very common in the areas I am able to hunt. Very common in my back yard though!

In the old days when living in Michigan and Wisconsin we hunted for the grays and fox squirrels. They were big, tasty and plentiful.

Skylinewatcher said:
I got to know from you fellars, any of you or family members ever eat squirrel brains?
I have, as a kid in the 1940s. I had an uncle who was a serious squirrel hunter and he loved them. I've eaten them at his house many times. I wouldn't do that now, and strongly recommend nobody else does. Squirrels can carry a variant of mad cow disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and there was an outbreak of it only about a dozen years ago in western Kentucky. Similar incidents have occurred in all the southern states, and medical authorities in the neurology field warn against eating squirrel brains because that is where the disease is carried.

Spence

You mean to tell me that you've never eaten the much-sought-after pine squirrel? Tasty as they come!! :rotf: I had a friend from MO try one, he said they taste like a pine tree. :hatsoff:

I tried doing some hunting this pass fall but couldn't hit nothing. My eyesight was to bad to see them in my sights. Had that fixed at the end of December so I'm good to go now. seen a couple big ones in muzzle loader deer season. Looked like it'd take a couple shots from my 32 to bring them down. :rotf:

Our deer season ends January 31 but our Squirrel season goes to the end of February.I'm gonna hit them hard starting Feb. 1.

Used to hunt em on an island in the Appalachacola river. Nothing on the island but cypress. Lots of cypress nuts. Lots of squirrels. They tasted so bad, the dog wouldn't even eat em.

100_0207.jpg
second bp rifle i ever owned. this was its first season. got these two first time out with it, 3 more the second time, and didnt get a chance for another hunt. its a 38 cal percussion with a little 32 inch barrel. :grin:

I think my .56 smoothbore got about 8 fox squirrels this year and 1 with my .50 percussion kentucky. I didn't get the smoothy 'til late September so I may have got some more if I took the plunge earlier.
LucasSquirrel.jpg

.50 traditions kentucky

HPIM0314.jpg

.56 TC smoothbore

dont have an exact count but i probably took between 20 and 30 squirrels this past fall,took 6 with my new rifle before the season closed.
100_3126.jpg

100_2816.jpg

The thing about Missouri is Missouri's season closes but you only have to wait a couple of months for it to reopen :grin:. I have to wait until august.

Latest posts

Back