• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Huntin Last Illinois Deer Season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
We don't have school tomorrow so I'm going to go out hunting in the morning. I was hoping to tote my flintlock but didn't have enough practice time with it so the percussion TC Renegade is coming with me. Good luck to everybody :hatsoff:

:shake: I sat on a ridge at first light for an hour but got froze out and was going to walk into a hay field where there are usually deer. It's about a 8 acre field with 2 little islands of small trees in the middle of the field. I was walking on the bottom of the hill the field is on and I look to my left and see something in the grass. It is a set of GIANT :shocked2: antlers. I could see steam rising and the buck was bedded down and watching me. He would have let me raise my gun and shoot him if it were legal since this is a doe only season. I moved around a little bit, and he stood up and looked at me. I finally purposely spooked him off so I wouldn't get tempted. I was about 28 yards from him and he was a 13 point buck with medium mass and a wide spread. From what I could see I would guess him to be about a 160-170 class buck because his rack was very wide and very tall. It goes to show that even when you don't think you have big bucks on your property, they're probably there, you just haven't seen them yet.

I went after school let out I saw nothing accept for when I drove home. I heard a bunch of coyotes more than I have ever heard. I am hunting a local park tomorrow with my oldest boy and Sunday I hope to kill out at the park ASAP so I can use my ML permit. For us buck or doe does not matter much we go for peace and quiet and meat. Louie next year the buck will be a 15 point. The biggest Deer I ever seen near the mackinaw river was walking on a hiking trail He was at least 14 points very symmetrical in points and WIDE This was after 2nd season on a ML weekend when I had killed out during second season. This was at another park that is also doe only.

My brother-in-law came in saying how the coyotes were going at it and close. I wonder what the deal is with them. He didn't see anything , either.
I've been sick , off and on , for the last 2 weeks. I don't think I'm gonna try it.

I really hope I see this buck on trail camera some time or find his sheds because I want to prove that he is real. Looking back on it, he probably would have let me take a picture of him with my cell phone. :haha:

I was born in Wisconsin.I have lived in North East Illinois for the past twenty years.If you don't know anybody that has land to hunt on your stuck with public hunting grounds.With the lottery system in Illinois and all the rules and regs for the public hunting land its not worth it for me.
I have spent hours and hundreds of miles asking for permission, and I have always gotten the same answer.We hunt it or some else is hunting it.Now that I will be BP hunting, some of these people my say yes, because I wont be in interfering with their shotgun season.
I will back to scouting this summer.I don't bother the farmers in the spring their to busy.

Yes Illinois can be a P.I.T.A. regarding their hunting grounds but at least we have some, not enough in my opinion. I was pleasantly suprised to hear that the DuPage county forest preserve opened a forest preserve near Bartlett to Bow hunting. I rather enjoy the challenge presented by hunting public land. My son took a deer yesterday morning on public land. Myself I went on public land saw nothing yesterday afternoon nor this morning I got a chance to go on private ground this afternoon I saw 2 does but as I saw them top the hill a change of wind did me no favors. You know the scenero you hear the shooting start about 4pm and then you see the deer move over the next 40 minutes and then the winds and thermal shifts happen and sometimes it works to your favor and other times not. I would like it if there was more muzzleloader opps on public land.

Well, I didn't see any deer tonight but I saw something I've never, ever seen before :shocked2: and I really wish I didn't see it. You can read about it in the non muzzleloading section.

luie b said:
Well, I didn't see any deer tonight but I saw something I've never, ever seen before :shocked2: and I really wish I didn't see it. You can read about it in the non muzzleloading section.

Where? :confused: What did ya see?

Back