• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Shooting a Green Mountain IBS on their T/C?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, we know about that one. But I'm not looking for stainless or 1:28 twist.

Midway USA lists 7 different barrels for $154.95. And some of them are out of stock, but they will order one. So I don't see why they wouldn't order any Green Mountain barrel, you wanted, for the same price.

Robert

Sorry Robert58, I was replying to Don S about the GM internet special for the SS 1:28 twist. I will check with Midway to see if I can get a .54 in 1:70 blue, through them. Thanks for the tip.

In fact I have sent Midway an inquiry.

I shoot a number of them on my Renegades. I shoot a .62 caliber smoothbore. It will shoot roundball real well out to 40 yards. After that you are in trouble. As a shotgun it does real well.

I shoot a .58 caliber 32" barrel 1-70 twist GMB which is THE BEST shooting open sighted rifle in my collection. I load 110 grains of Goex 2f and a moosemilk patched roundball and this thing will really lay them in the target.. time after time.

I shoot a .54 caliber 1-70 twist GMB. I shoot 100 grains of Goex 2f and a moose milk .530 ball with amazing accuracy.

I shoot two different .50 caliber LRH stainless steel 1-28 twist barrels. These rifles are excellent shooters with a number of different loads. They will also shoot roundball with 60 grains of Goex and a patched .490 ball with amazing accuracy.

Cayugad,
What loads are you shooting out of the LRH 1/28 barrels. So far with mine the Hornady 300 grain is best. Would like to shoot something in the 250 grain bullet for deer hunting. Have you gotten any good results in this weight? What patch thickness did you use for the roundballs?

dmills said:
So where can you get the GM drop-ins for less. I haven't seen for less that TOW

I was not aware of the price increase at TOTW. I had just purchased a bbl from TOTW in Dec for $159.95. I have a C&R License and thru Midway USA the dealers price is $136 to $143. The reg price is as stated earlier, $156. Hope this helps. sduve

Walks with fire said:
Cayugad,
What loads are you shooting out of the LRH 1/28 barrels. So far with mine the Hornady 300 grain is best. Would like to shoot something in the 250 grain bullet for deer hunting. Have you gotten any good results in this weight? What patch thickness did you use for the roundballs?

I have been shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and a .458 300 grain Hornady HP out of mine most of the time.

stainlessroundball-pinnaclecombined.jpg

Something that will surprise you is how well that rifle will shoot roundball. The target on the left shows the roundball accuracy at 30 yards. I was shooting 60 grains of Swiss 3f and a .490 patched roundball out of it. I shot the first ball to see where they were hitting and after that the rest was easy.

I also was shooting 60 grains of Swiss 2f and a patched roundball trying to shoot the spray nozzle off three cans of spray paint. I did manage to cut the nozzle off one, but shot a hair low on the other two cans, hitting the top of the cans.

I was trying out my new Caldwell Dead Shot rest. A very impressive rest and a very impressive rifle barrel so far.

The other target (on the right) I was testing some Pinnacle 3f powder out of the rifle. It took five patches to clean the barrel of the rifle.

Have you tried any of the heavier conicals such as the No Excuses 460 or White Power Punches 460s? I have gotten excellent results with those in a 1:28 twist with 75 gr. 777.

I did not have a lot of luck with the No Excuse Conicals out of the barrel, but the 385 grain Great Plains conicals did real well. I am holding off a little on the conicals until I can make a longer shooting range. With the snow and all I am limited to the distance I can shoot right now.

Cayugad,

Thanks for the info on the RB load for the 50 cal 1-28 barrel, will have to try it.

I've one of these and have only tried 385 gr buffalo bullets so far. It does good with these with anywhere from 70-90 gr FFg.

My fast twist 54 GM likes hornaday 425 gr with 90 gr FFg.

Both ot these barrels required shortening the underrib and a bit of filing on the staple to get them to "drop in" to TC renegade stocks.

Cayugad,

Forgot one thing on the last post, what sort of patch were you using with the RB load?

Thanks in advance,

Mad Professor

Mad Professor said:
Cayugad,

Forgot one thing on the last post, what sort of patch were you using with the RB load?

Thanks in advance,

Mad Professor

I was shooting a 100% cotton pillow tick that I cut at the muzzle. I was also using Stumpkiller's Castor Oil Colossal Concoction of moose milk as the lube. Other then some experimenting with muslin cloth, pillow tick is about all I use anymore.

tripleh said:
if so,hows the fit? hows does it shoot for you?,what caliber?

Don't have one on a TC setup, but did put a GM IBS 32", .40, 15/16" on a Cabelas Hawken. Shoots great and all I had to do was shorten the under rib about 3/8" to clear the nosecap.

Don't have one on a TC setup, but did put a GM IBS 32", .40, 15/16" on a Cabelas Hawken. Shoots great and all I had to do was shorten the under rib about 3/8" to clear the nosecap.

I have been looking at that .40 caliber myself. It seems like it would make an excellent small game caliber. Good to hear that it shoots well..

I went with the .40 because here in Arkansas it is the largest ML caliber you can use for rabbits and tree rats and the smallest you can use for deer. Haven't shot anything but paper with it so far.

Hummmm, I've been shootin the same old .50 barrel that came on my Hawken since 1976 and have never seen a reason to replace it. Back when I bought my rifle there were no cell phones, PC computers, internet or funny cylinder bored muzzle loader barrels. I can still shoot a minute of beer can with this rifle ar 50 yards. Here's a pic of a can that I shot kneeling with patched round balls I cast from airgun pellet scrap lead and Pyrodex @ 50 yds. First two stray shots were to get aimed and the big hole is from 5 serious shots. I hate shooting holes in paper targets!
Can.jpg

cayugad said:
I have been looking at that .40 caliber myself. It seems like it would make an excellent small game caliber. Good to hear that it shoots well..

My GM .40cal IBS barrel is the most accurate shooter I own. I've got the 32" long, 15/16" barrel on a T/C Hawken stock and while it is a bit nose heavy, it still points well and is a real pleasure to shoot.

Back