• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Shooting a Investarm 45 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w_dexter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got one of these Investarm Hawkens in a trade in 45 cal,it looks new,anyone have any experience with these rifles in 45 caliber? are they good shooters?This is the one sold through Cabelas,if they are usually a good shooter I may just keep it

My very first muzzleloader was one like that. It shot a couple of whitetails before I moved on to a .50. The rifle was accurate enough with a round ball or maxi bullet using 60g of 3f powder.

I have an old unfinished Investarms Hawken kitm with several barrels, but the only 45 barrel for it is a custom cut H&H barrel. The investarms barrel that came with it was a 54, and apparently the broach had a broken tooth. It is rifled, but one of the grooves wasn't cut. Despite that it is a pretty fair barrel for accuracy out to 75 yds.

I recently picked one up in 58 caliber. While a 1" barrel is standard for 58 cals these days, this one has a 15/16" x 28" barrel, making it as much as a pound lighter than the Lyman GPR in 54 cal with its 32" barrel. Balance of the 58 is very slightly muzzleheavy, useful for offhand shooting, even if it swings better than the GPR.

Workmanship is excellent, and at a glance it looks more like a Lyman Trade Rifle, but with a little lower comb. Mine is accurate as a snakebite, and it may quickly become my do-all deer rifle even with 5 other 58's in the rack.

The only thing I didn't particularly like was the trigger, either when set or not. As a test I pulled the R.E. Davis Deerslayer from one of my GPR's and tried that for size. It's hand-in-glove, just like on the GPR, even thouhgh Davis intended it for the TC Hawken. Go figger, but it's the best $41 I have spent on many a rifle.

Only small hitch, even though it dropped right into the mortise and worked perfectly before I put the trigger guard back on, seating the trigger guard screws pushed the trigger too deep in the front of the mortise and interfered with function. That was an easy fix once I diagnosed the issue. I just ran a small brass flathead woodscrew into the bottom of the mortise and adjusted its height to give a secure stop to for the trigger plate when the trigger guard is tightened down. Took a good 2 minutes ones I figgered out the problem. Now it has a very clean pull of about 4 pounds with the trigger unset, and a very clean 8 ounces or so when set. Best of all for my addled brain, the rear set trigger is a completely different shape that the front trigger so I have no tendency to confuse them in the heat of the moment.

Sorry for the long roll, but I'm obviously happy. If I find another in 45 at the right price I might pick it up simply because I don't own any 45's at the moment. If my experience is any indicator, you have a real proud shooter on your hands.

I got a 50 cal Investarm this fall and I like it so far, only shot it 40+ times but I like it as I said. It feels good and the parts all seem to align right. Its got a diff nipple thread from what I've seen most have but then again there seem to be 3 diff threads in use any way. My sister shoots a T/C hawkins and she shot mine and said she didnt see much diff for what thats worth

Three threads are:
1/4-28 .250 dia 28.0 threads/inch
M6 x .75 .236 33.9
M6 x 1.0 .236 25.4

I have a Sile imported Investarms 50 and it has a M6x1.0 nipple thread.

KV Rummer said:
I have a Sile imported Investarms 50 and it has a M6x1.0 nipple thread.

Now that's interesting (and something I'm going to track in future guns.) Mine is M6 x .75.

Kind of a good deal to keep close track of these Italian guns. Metric is metric, right? Not so fast. I checked with Track of the Wolf about my Pietta SxS 12 gauge, and it's 1/4-28. They went further by saying it's threaded to really close tolerances and the 1/4-28 will be a tight fit. Got the nipples, and sure enough. You have to have them aligned just right to start, but once started they're butter smooth. A little lube on the threads and they just glide right in without a wiggle.

You might send TOW and email at their site as a final check before buying, W Dexter. I found them really quick to reply, with no pressure to buy from them if you have another source.

I have a set in 45 caliber, one cap, one flint. I think they are a good gun for the money. Comparable to T.C. without the warranty. :idunno: :idunno:

I have a 20ga octagon to round 15/16 barrel. with screw in choke tubes. It is new never fired. That will fit these guns. If anyone needs it I would be willing to part with it.

I bought a Cabelas Powder River Rifle in 54 about 16 years ago and it shoots better than I do. Fairly plain, iron furniture, didn't care much for the triggerguard and found out it swapped perfectly with a CVA Frontier Rifle.

Latest posts

Back