• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone tell me what these are?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen ancient copper pressure flakers, but our acid heavy southern soils tend to eat away all copper. If they are pressure flakers the ends would be rounded or show signs of side to side scratching, or with copper, pounding/hammering to get a sharp tip. You are closer to the Great Lakes source of most North American Native copper, so who knows? That is what I like about collecting Native and Civil War artifacts. The great unknown tends to work our minds. :m2c:

Aint never seen nuthin like them :hmm:,the stone you describe sounds alot like a fire stone.Stuck a stick in the hole and worked it with a small bow or hands to start fires,when they were ready to move on the dug it out of the coals.That is what ive been told,course it could be sumthin else also.

Why do you think they are Native American? It may very well be a trade item or a common tool. They almost look like sycthe forms of a sort. Is it iron, brass, how do you know it's bronze? That would require smelting and mixing of metals, correct? It looks as though the smaller one may have hade a wooden handle, like a chissel does. :m2c:

Ok...we are told and have documents stating that these are fishing lures/hooks :huh: :youcrazy:, yes thats right, fishing lures that the Narragansetts used. I myself never took much stock in this explaination since we were told this at the local Narragansett Indian museum. I guess its possible but I just dont see it. I posted in hopes someone had seen something simular and had a better idea of what the really are.

I don't know if I am seeing the same pictures that the rest are seening , but the closest thing that I have ever seen that even comes close to what they look like are spike buck deer horns, and thses look like they have just laid around and darkened up with a lil carveing on them at the base.

Woody

Ok...we are told and have documents stating that these are fishing lures/hooks :huh: :youcrazy:, yes thats right, fishing lures that the Narragansetts used. I myself never took much stock in this explaination since we were told this at the local Narragansett Indian museum. I guess its possible but I just dont see it. I posted in hopes someone had seen something simular and had a better idea of what the really are.

That's on hellava hook! What are they fishing for, sharks?

Well my little State does have alot of shoreline. The waters back then were teaming with Stripers and Bluefish, returning Atlantic Salmon and Shad and Buckys. I have read of accounts that the Shad was so thick in one of our rivers that one could almost walk across on top of them. Then the dams went up which spelt doom for our Salmon and Shad stocks.

I'm sure they realized if you threw something shiney out, theres a good chance a fish would pick it up....but I'm not convinced that what I have here was used for that.

Look up the term , compound fish hooks, if it is close to a ancient-old fish hook then it had a backing of wood, bone, something to class as a compound hook. I agree , 99% not a fish hook. The way you describe the old fish population, no one would waste time on one hooked fish. They would use cast nets, described in the Bible and older references, or collective traps made of cane, bark-wood, or woven grass strips. You said they were found with a bowl? Could be the tools thay made or shaped the bowl? Or a tool to grind- mash whatever was in the bowl. I know this is not the place to discuss Native artifacts, but a objective Native artifact discussion site is not in existance. Good luck and if you solve your riddle, plaese let us know.

I really don't think these have anything to do with the bowl. They were not exactly found with it but rather in the same area. Both of these hook like objects have a groove all the way around the widest end. You can see it in the shortest one no problem, the longest one's tip was broke off but you can still see that it too had a groove in it. I would think the groove was used to hold something that was tied around it?? Or maybe the groove was used in away that would hold these into something?? Beats the hell outa me, I dunno.

i dont agree with the fish hook theory ,they appear closer to musket mans theory of heavy duty sewing awls for laceing bark for canoes and wikiups :m2c: :imo:

Ok been thinking what the hell these could be used for and I come up with this.
How about a rawhide was attached around the grove in them and then attached to a teepee so not to get lost and were used to hold the door shut in a winter situaltion from the inside. Like one would use to hold material together for sewing now a days with a pin. Your guess is as good as mine.

Woody

Back