• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are old house window weights good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guys on the fourm have found the base they set showers and tubs on was made of lead these could yield a bunch of lead.

Off topic for sure but those cast iron weights make for great boat anchors if you just want to make a slow drift on a windy day. Just tie a couple on your anchor rope and drift away... If on salt water makes for a slow drift in shore with the tide.

Thanks much for all the replies. It looks like I have lots of stuff to look for when the house is torn down. And it does look like I'm making friends with the construction foreman, so who knows what will show up in the future.

A lot of old showers have a lead pan. Usually weighs about 80 to 100 lbs. Check salvage yards or a friendly old plumber.

All the window weights I have ever seen in the St. Loius area were all cast iron. Just bump two of them together. If they're iron, they will "CLANG". Is that a word?

I have seen many old window weights and all were cast iron. I have never seen a lead window weight. It doesn't mean that lead was never used but I have never run across any.

If you want a source for soft lead for casting balls, make friends with some local roofers. They often throw away lead flashing or will sell it cheaply. I still have a couple hundred pounds of lead remaining from a supply which I acquired for free when I worked as a roofer twenty years ago.

Back