• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arizona quail!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azdonw

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got to go hunting with my new (to me) Navy arms Pietta double, discussed here 1978 Pietta Photos and here S/S pattern pictures . My business associate graciously invited my to hunt quail yesterday with him and 2 other buddies. We had 6 dogs to help us.

We headed out at 5:30a.m. and drove for an hour and a half or so to our desert hunting location. First, we hunted a location known for Gambel's quail and jumped a covy within 45 minutes of walking. The dogs had some great points on some singles and doubles, which held nicely for us. My hunting partners all had 20 or 28 gauge smokeless burners, and were shooting fairly often. I conserved my shots for good ones, as to not hold up the show reloading.

I think I shot 3 times in the morning hunt, missing all (yeah, I am a little rusty)! Twice, I had issues with the unfired barrel shot coming loose after firing the other. I wonder if 2 over shot cards would help?

The afternoon hunt, we drove to an area known for scaled quail. Scalies are a bit bigger than Gambels and are much more scarce. We ran into one or two more covies, but they turned out to be Gambel's. I got two more shots, and connected on my second one--a fast crossing shot.

Okay, so the picture below misrepresents my success--my hunting partner put all his quail in with mine :grin: I got one out of five shots, but I don't feel too bad, because one of the other regular hunters got 1 (with many shots). The second hunter got 2, and my business associate got 5 (he is an expert shot, and hunts every weekend of the season.)

On the drive out, my associate was driving and saw a covy run across the road. He stopped the truck, jumped out and shot the only scaly. He asked if I wanted to take it home, so I did--what a great guy!

quail_small.JPG

Took a second read to realize that when you said "hunting partner" you weren't talking about ole Midnight there with you in the photo!! :haha: Dog driving truck would be way better than me being pelted by a daft squirrel!! :wink: Good job, pretty dog! :thumbsup:

I've got that gun's twin but have only connected on squirrel so far. Congrats on the Gambel's.
The only time I hunted those "different" quail was in west Texas and there were many more cottontops than Gambels.

Your dog must have thorn-proof feet to hunt those areas. :wink:

Wes/Tex said:
Took a second read to realize that when you said "hunting partner" you weren't talking about ole Midnight there with you in the photo!! :haha: Dog driving truck would be way better than me being pelted by a daft squirrel!! :wink: Good job, pretty dog! :thumbsup:
Yeah, that would be quite a trick! He's my business associate's German short hair named Guage. He weighs in at 65 to 70 lbs.

Thanks, Brit. I took your advice and drilled out the nipples, but I only had to go from .028 up to .035".

Patocazador said:
I've got that gun's twin but have only connected on squirrel so far. Congrats on the Gambel's.
The only time I hunted those "different" quail was in west Texas and there were many more cottontops than Gambels.

Your dog must have thorn-proof feet to hunt those areas. :wink:
My associate puts Tuf-foot on those feet. I don't see how they do it, either. Quite often, we'd have to stop and comb out one of the dead cactus cobs. He says he won't even hunt in areas that have jumping cholla.

Sounds like a great first hunt. Congrats! May there be many more.

azdonw said:
Twice, I had issues with the unfired barrel shot coming loose after firing the other. I wonder if 2 over shot cards would help?

Huh.... Neither my original Pietta nor the one I own now have ever worked loose. And I check each time by using the unfired tube as the "holding rack" for the ramrod while I'm loading the other bore. Nice extra "hand" while also letting me check the load.

Only thing I can think of is that somehow your bores are a little bigger than mine. I'd have more faith in going to an 11 gauge card than using two 12's. According to this page an 11 gauge card is .762" compared to .740" for a 12. You might mike your bores and do a little head scratching, but a bag of 11's might be more secure and a "cheap" solution at $8.50 for 1,000.

I think you're right, BB, bigger cards. My settup is a little different than your's, though: I am using BPI multimetal shotcups with 13 gauge over shot cards. The card fits inside the cup, and forces the pedals against the barrel. I've used a similar load in my CVA Optima, turkey hunting, and I've driven my ATV over major bumpy roads (with gun in rack)and never had a load loose. Maybe I'll try 12 gauge cards.

It's such a treat to hunt over a well trained dog or even better, a pair of them. I was fortunate growing up to be able to hunt quail(bobwhite in our case)over some good German shorthairs. It was truly wonderful to watch them work and honor the other's point. going on 50 years ago now, but I still remember Goldie!

Thanks House, Roundball, and Spike!

Wes/Tex said:
It's such a treat to hunt over a well trained dog or even better, a pair of them. I was fortunate growing up to be able to hunt quail(bobwhite in our case)over some good German shorthairs. It was truly wonderful to watch them work and honor the other's point. going on 50 years ago now, but I still remember Goldie!

This was really a treat for me, as I've never hunted over dogs. Years ago, I hunted quail some without dogs, and would loose more birds in the bushes than I retrieved. And these dogs were wonderful at pointing the birds. Gauge is 2, I believe, and the female, Hanna, is 4. Gauge is a little inexperienced and would rush in, sometimes. But Hanna is a pro and would hold with her tail straight as a stick, waiting for us to flush the birds.

She'll grow into it. It just takes a time for her to learn the skills. It'll come.

i use two cards and dont have an issue in my navy but a bigger would prob be appropriate as well

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really enjoyed the story.Practice makes perfect.LOL Nice pic.Griz

Thanks, Army and NYgriz!

ny griz said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really enjoyed the story.Practice makes perfect.LOL Nice pic.Griz
Yeah, I would sometimes cock one hammer and try to pull the wrong trigger. Or get hung up trying to pull the trigger back as I mounted the gun. Really need to practice with this gun. Also, those really fast rising/tilt-away shots got me.

Latest posts

Back