• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Jager Zouave rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is excellent! I’m ordering the blank site blade from S&S as we speak. I removed the rear site assembly last night. On the Armi Jager it’s a bizarre dovetail arrangement as opposed to the Zoli (and original?) 2 post screw on type. I say bizarre because the sight is concave bottom so is “turned into” the dovetail (if that makes sense)

Great info everyone! Keep it coming! Thanks!
[/QUOTE

I don't know what a 2 post screw on sight is but the original sights on most US CW arms were concave on the bottom with one screw to hold them on and an unusual male dovetail at the rear. The barrel "dovetail" rear wall was like a conventional dovetail and the front wall was vertical. The rear of the sight was inserted at an angle to the vertical and then the front was lowered followed by inserting the screw.

I am now convinced this Armi Jager Zouave is 1 in 33” and my Zoli is double that at 1 in 66”. I’ve run the same twist test repeatedly in both Zouave’s with a tightly patched cleaning rod on a swivel. The Zoli clearly indicated 1 in 66” and the Armi Jager 1 in 33”. Visually the Armi Jager looks MUCH tighter. With that said, is there any hope for this to shoot something accurately? I’ve searched not just here but outside as well for 1 in 33”. I see references to 1 in 24” on some T/C’s. Any hope? I want to keep the Armi Jager ideally. Thanks.

I am now convinced this Armi Jager Zouave is 1 in 33” and my Zoli is double that at 1 in 66”. I’ve run the same twist test repeatedly in both Zouave’s with a tightly patched cleaning rod on a swivel. The Zoli clearly indicated 1 in 66” and the Armi Jager 1 in 33”. Visually the Armi Jager looks MUCH tighter. With that said, is there any hope for this to shoot something accurately? I’ve searched not just here but outside as well for 1 in 33”. I see references to 1 in 24” on some T/C’s. Any hope? I want to keep the Armi Jager ideally. Thanks.

All this means is you're going to have to do some load development. The best bullet samples are available from Lodgewood. I'd be betting the heavier bullets would shoot best. Don't forget to make sure the size is correct.

I have one with the tight twist. It was rusted so bad in bore when I got it couldn't be cleaned. Thanks to Bobby Hoyt it's now a 20 ga. smothie. Of coarse it was used when I got it.

How do you like it as a smoothbore?
I was thinking of doing the same thing with one.

Back