• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi San Paolo parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know if Uberti, Pietta or ASM parts will work on this without too much modification?

Attachments

• 20240621_132009.jpg
    20240621_132009.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240621_131437.jpg
    20240621_131437.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
My experience says no, but its a limit of one.

My wife gave me an ASP. It had a timing issue with the bolt not retracting (Mike is that right wordage?) . Taking it down it seemed that it never had been disassembled (very tight screws and no marks and screws are soft)

The bolt had been filed in the wrong place and I ordered a Pietta bolt. On the bolt end the appearance was not the same, I ground on it until it fit right and it worked.

Latter I found a picture of a Uberti bolt that had heritage to the ASP from the looks of it. I thought, hmm, I will get it and will work as good or better.

It would not work at all. I am so far from Mike (45D) that its not even a distant view, so I could not tell what the issue was though the front of the bolt was a perfect match.

It was all in the handles (arms) of the bolt and I could not see any difference but it sure was there.

So what looks like the right part may not be though my take is that both Uberti and Pietta have heritages in the ASM and ASP lines.

So count on some grinding and fitting and the only direct fit parts are probably current Uberti or Pietta production.

My experience says no, but its a limit of one.

My wife gave me an ASP. It had a timing issue with the bolt not retracting (Mike is that right wordage?) . Taking it down it seemed that it never had been disassembled (very tight screws and no marks and screws are soft)

The bolt had been filed in the wrong place and I ordered a Pietta bolt. On the bolt end the appearance was not the same, I ground on it until it fit right and it worked.

Latter I found a picture of a Uberti bolt that had heritage to the ASP from the looks of it. I thought, hmm, I will get it and will work as good or better.

It would not work at all. I am so far from Mike (45D) that its not even a distant view, so I could not tell what the issue was though the front of the bolt was a perfect match.

It was all in the handles (arms) of the bolt and I could not see any difference but it sure was there.

So what looks like the right part may not be though my take is that both Uberti and Pietta have heritages in the ASM and ASP lines.

So count on some grinding and fitting and the only direct fit parts are probably current Uberti or Pietta production.
Ok, only parts I can try right now are Pietta. Don't have any Uberti or ASM.
I just bought it and still waiting on delivery.
Thanks for that info.

You are welcome.

While there is general history on these guns the details are lacking. Any records are in Italy and those may well be gone.

I am nothing special when it comes to these guns. I just happened into owning one as my wife moved it from her stuff to my possession. I did not even know she had it!

It took me a bit to cotton onto what a half cock position was supposed to do in one of those guns and then it was clear it was really way out of time on that one. I had to pull hammer back more and put a wood dowel between it and the frame to be able to remove the cylinder.

I could have lived with that but wanted to fix it if I could and while not a 45D metal worker, I have done my share of grinding and filing things to work.

As it was wrong on the bolt end it took a lot of grinding but the hands worked correctly for the timing function.

I was curious if the right bolt would slip in (shape wise to match what came out of the ASP) and it would not work at all, just jammed up. So what looked right was not (maybe with some more work and fiddling but you have to take it way down then back together to see, kind of too diverting time wise so I just stuck with what I had done)

I would only state is true for an ASP around 1976. Before or after could well be different.

If you can get a report on a specific then it may be a help to deal with your aspect, it may not apply to others - some contribute a lot to the forum and some where you might have a specific bit.

Last edited:
Armi San Palo became Euroarms and as far as I know there were no changes to the guns, only the name. There are virtually no parts available for the ASP so any will need fitting to suit. To be quite honest (I'm sure you don't want to hear this) I recommend you drop this project before you spend any money on it. Unless you are an experienced pistol smith fitting all of the internal parts from other manufactures and expecting them to work together is a fantasy. You need all the internal parts, hammer, nipples and a trigger guard and the cost of those will probably exceed the value of the finished gun specially with the finish in the condition it is. It also looks like someone has ground the nipple openings in the cylinder out to make it easier to cap. My suggestion is to sell it or put it in a shadow box on the wall.

I have 3 ASP/Euroarms 58s, one of which needs a new hammer if I ever get to it. One is just fine as is and the third was a kit gun someone did a poor job assembling and then abused it. The full cock notch on this gun disappeared in about 100 rounds and I figure it had never been hardened from the factory. A friend fitted a Pietta hammer to it but he had to narrow it on a belt sander to even fit the frame. He had other fiddling to do but he knows his way around cap & ball revolvers. The one that needs a hammer is well worth fixing and I have a new PIetta hammer to go in there if I ever get to it. The cost of having someone else do the work wouldn't be worth it.

Armi San Palo became Euroarms and as far as I know there were no changes to the guns, only the name. There are virtually no parts available for the ASP so any will need fitting to suit. To be quite honest (I'm sure you don't want to hear this) I recommend you drop this project before you spend any money on it. Unless you are an experienced pistol smith fitting all of the internal parts from other manufactures and expecting them to work together is a fantasy. You need all the internal parts, hammer, nipples and a trigger guard and the cost of those will probably exceed the value of the finished gun specially with the finish in the condition it is. It also looks like someone has ground the nipple openings in the cylinder out to make it easier to cap. My suggestion is to sell it or put it in a shadow box on the wall.

I have 3 ASP/Euroarms 58s, one of which needs a new hammer if I ever get to it. One is just fine as is and the third was a kit gun someone did a poor job assembling and then abused it. The full cock notch on this gun disappeared in about 100 rounds and I figure it had never been hardened from the factory. A friend fitted a Pietta hammer to it but he had to narrow it on a belt sander to even fit the frame. He had other fiddling to do but he knows his way around cap & ball revolvers. The one that needs a hammer is well worth fixing and I have a new PIetta hammer to go in there if I ever get to it. The cost of having someone else do the work wouldn't be worth it.
So far I've found a Pietta hammer and hand seem to work. The bolt of a Pietta is longer on the bolt side. If I remember correctly, the Uberti and ASM are shorter. As is the cylinder. And the bolt notches are further toward the ratchet end. I found a bolt, trigger with screw pretty cheap from an ASM.
I fixed an ASM 1863 with Pietta parts. A lot of filing was required on the hammer and hand, the rest of the parts worked good.
I know my way around revolvers and hopefully it won't be too costly. I like working on these things and its going to be a good challenge. I haven't spent over 100 bucks so far on everything I have right now.
Just the wait for parts is the only setback so far.
We'll see.
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back