• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

artifically age brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheatherly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone success with 'antiquing' brass? I know it ages well on its own,but I would like to speed up the process a bit. By the way amonia turns brass blue. Also, I have a few pieces of bronze bar stock. how appropriate would it be to use for sights and hardware on Kentucky style rifles?

Mix some black powder with water rub paste on the brass and in a couple of days it's nicely aged. I did this with my rifle when I built it.

Cover the brass piece with mayonase or mustard and let set overnight. Sounds crazy but works and its cheap.

Halfstock

:rotf: :rotf: Is that Grey Poupon or Frenchs' Yellow Salad.... :rotf: :shake: Sorry couldn't resist :grin:

I've used mustard on stel many times before. Never thought to use it on brass.I've got some soaking now.Thanks

I have 2 questions, guys:
1..Do the methods you guys mentioned darken the brass to the point that it looks like iron?
2..If I decide that I dont like the brass really dark, can I sand the darkness off?

My brass usually turns a greenish gold, and can easily be reshined to any level desired.

I like to let the brass get almost black and then give it a slight polish with steel wool so that it leaves the grooves and carvings black and everything else a soft or dirty gold.

I just rub my wet and filthy BP cleaning patches all over it. In no time at all you can build it up to the level you like.

If you want it quick and durable, heat the brass to dull red 2 or three times in a darkened room, then dunk in water the last time. This will also anneal it and make it more likely to dent, so keep that in mind.

You can lay the brass pieceson a metal pan and sprinkle with BP and carefully light it off, repeat if needed then clean up to color wanted.

It works fast, the idea came to me when I noticed how fast the flash cup on a caplock darkened several years ago and I used the method to darken the brass on several guns since then...just use caution.

Apply "44/40 Cold Blue", let dry and lightly rub w/ oiled 0000 stl wool for whatever degree of darkness you want. Recesses and low wear areas are rubbed the least.........Fred

Also you can put the item in a closed container over nite with a dish of houshold ammonia inside ... NOT IN THE AMMONIA! The next day it will have aged .:hatsoff:

Davy

try this site go to simplyfide formulas.
bernie :thumbsup:[url] http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm#29[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back