• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 Band Whitworth Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to build a southern sharpshooter's 2 band .451 Whitworth, something that is not currently made by any of the Italian manufacturers.

What are all of the specifications necessary to build this?
  • .451 hexagonal barrel (I will have to cut down a modern reproduction barrel, if I can find one; I'll likely contact Bobby Hoyt to see if he'd be interested in doing that)
  • I will likely use a Dunlap 2-Band walnut Enfield stock (if it's the correct dimensions and the barrel channel isn't wrong)
  • Is there another source for iron furniture besides "the Rifle Shoppe"? (They're always out of stock on the iron parts from their Pattern 1856 Short Rifle)
  • Was the iron furniture blued or color case hardened?
  • I'll likely have to get a Pedersoli Whitworth Lock, unless it's more cost effective to get a Rifle Shoppe lock, engrave it with Whitworth markings and color case harden it
  • Did all southern import Whitworths have checkered stocks? If so, what size checkering did they have? (I'm not interested in the heat pressed checkering on the Italian reproductions)
  • Did it use a regular 2 band Enfield ramrod?
  • Could I swap out the barrel with my parker-hale 33" barrel if I wanted to shoot .577? (Similar to how a Kerr rifle can swap out barrels between .451 and .577)
I would greatly appreciate any expert opinions on the feasibility of such a project. I know it'll take a long time to acquire all of the necessary parts.

I have photos of 4 Confederate Whitworth rifles, but all 4 have fittings for telescopes, so I'll just post this one:
4146993_1a  .451 cal x 33 in. brl.jpg
4146993_2a.jpg
4146993_3a.jpg4146993_4a.jpg
4146993_6a.jpg4146993_7a.jpg
4146993_8a.jpg
4146993_9a.jpg
4146993_10a.jpg
All the Whitworth's sent to the South were marked engraved "2nd Quality" on the trigger guard, as this one is marked. I'll look in my copy of C.H. Roads book "The British Soldier's Firearm, 1850-1864"about the barrel bands. I vaguely remember reading that the barrel bands were heated and dunked in oil on the 1853 Enfield rifle, but I'll have to look that up.

I think that The Rifle Shoppe is your only alternative for getting parts for your project. I had a heck of a time just trying to get a catalogue from English several years ago for parts when the seller stated that he'd already sent it - I finally got it but it was worthless.

Good luck with your project!!
Mike

Back