• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Artificial Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've a Traditions Hawkin 1 in 66 54 cal that shoots PRB accurately with the exception of the first shot. The first from a clean barrel goes 6" right, elevation is spot on, after a fouling shot and a spit wipe all the following shots group well, typically in an inch or less at 50 yards and 2 inches at 100 (about as good as I can do with iron sights these days). The problem I've been having is surface rust in the barrel when I take it hunting, appartly the Spanish steel used in this barrel loves to rust if not oiled.
Today, after an unsuccessful turkey hunt, while I was cleaning my gun I decided to try and foul it with something that wouldn't attract H2O . After it was clean I ran a patch with Thompson's bore butter down the bore followed by a dry patch then loaded the gun as usual. Before I shot I ran another patch with bore butter on it down to the ball and out and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I tried it on a target and it put the ball dead center of the last group I had shot on that target a week before. The next time I'm going to try it without the initial swabbing, just use the final over the ball coating with butter and see how it shoots.
No matter how the next trial turns out it's nice to know I can load the gun at the start of an extended hunt and not worry about rust, not to mention unloading and cleaning the gun every night. Just thought I'd throw this out there so some of you other folks could try it and see if it helps.

I've a Traditions Hawkin 1 in 66 54 cal that shoots PRB accurately with the exception of the first shot. The first from a clean barrel goes 6" right, elevation is spot on, after a fouling shot and a spit wipe all the following shots group well, typically in an inch or less at 50 yards and 2 inches at 100 (about as good as I can do with iron sights these days). The problem I've been having is surface rust in the barrel when I take it hunting, appartly the Spanish steel used in this barrel loves to rust if not oiled.
Today, after an unsuccessful turkey hunt, while I was cleaning my gun I decided to try and foul it with something that wouldn't attract H2O . After it was clean I ran a patch with Thompson's bore butter down the bore followed by a dry patch then loaded the gun as usual. Before I shot I ran another patch with bore butter on it down to the ball and out and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I tried it on a target and it put the ball dead center of the last group I had shot on that target a week before. The next time I'm going to try it without the initial swabbing, just use the final over the ball coating with butter and see how it shoots.
No matter how the next trial turns out it's nice to know I can load the gun at the start of an extended hunt and not worry about rust, not to mention unloading and cleaning the gun every night. Just thought I'd throw this out there so some of you other folks could try it and see if it helps.

I use Natural Lube 1000 all the time and don't have a "1st shot / following shots" separation problem like you just described...I don't "relube" after seating a ball, I just seat the patched ball down a well lubed bore to begin with...you may find that just having the bore well lubed at the outset will work...

Lewis50:

I have one barrel that will shoot 7" left on the first shot. [at 100] After loading, I swab the barrel with a lubed patch........some barrels just want to be difficult!

A friend of mine claims he has a rifle that will also shoot way off if the barrel is not fowled. He said if he swabs the barrel with WD-40 before loading, that the first shot will hit the same as all the rest. Why that should make a difference I have no idea.

Many of my rifles will shoot different between shots but I find this more common with the modern projectiles then with roundball.

Hell, on most days all of my guns shoot different between shots, everyone claims it's me :bull: :p :cry:

Larry

I always run a lubed patch down before the first load for just the reason you noted. It also makes the gun easier to clean as the day's fouling seems to stay softer.

Like greasing a pan before you add the food.

My concern in running the lubed patch clear to the breech is that it might cause problems with the powder in my flinter. I always swab the lube out before I load. I like Lewis' idea about lubing down to the ball. Think I'll try that. My first shot dry is 4-6" to the left and 1" high. I've had to compensate for it while hunting.

Jimbo

Back