• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preventing bore rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure it contains water, a lot of liquids has a water base. but you do not use it hot or even luke warm to cause flash rust. wipe it dry then oil and no rust! also when you are pouring water down the bore it will get under the barrel, Windex is controlled with the pump spray and it does not take much to melt the burnt powder. also another thing that works without chance of rust is WD40 it also melts burnt powder.
thanks bud. didn't know WD-40 WOULD DO THAT. HAVE TO TRY THAT

thanks bud. didn't know WD-40 WOULD DO THAT. HAVE TO TRY THAT
I used WD-40 for a while as it was suggested in Dutch Schultz's waterless cleaning system, but found that it leaves behind a tacky feeling residue after it dries, and carbon goo builds up in the flash channel between the nipple and the breech.

Went back to flushing with water, then drying by swabbing with 1:1 mix of Simple Green / Alcohol, then following that by swabbing with a patch moistened with Remoil or Barricade.

I started shooting a little B.P. in the 80s with my CVA then quite a bit in the early 90s . I'd always been told , and it was true , when you clean your rifle / gun , the next day check the bore and or just run an oil patch down the bore real quick now f your in a hurry , there will always be a bit of rust and by golly its true and ive always made that a habit . Some folks clean them then throw them in a safe of just hang them on the wall and forget about them , ive told many folks over the years about the " next day oil patch thing " . Any who ... When I first started building and for the first dozen builds , I'd often watch Hershel House build on his amazing 1991 building VDO . Well , in it he just uses motor oil when oiling his rifle after cleaning it . Once after cleaning I used motor oil instead of the gun oil to swab the bore . As usual the next day I did the " day after wipe " ....no rusty bore ... Hmmm , Thats a welcome but strange occurrence . Then it happened again and again ... Since using motor oil ive never , knock on wood , had the rust patch the next day , need to run and oil patch , occurrence happen again !! Thats no B.S. Only thing I figure is ... That modern oil is d@mn thin , and it isn't intended for a B.P. firearm . That B.P. is darn corrosive and just sucks the moisture out of the air and rusts up your bore . Even before my motor oil experience I noticed the bore rust was , naturally , always worse in the humid summer . No dont make that motor oil patch a dripping mess just some motor oil on the patch and run it to breech and back , wipe the muzzle if any excess ... Check it out , see what ya thick . My trade gun barrel bore is shiny silver . Take care

Latest posts

Back