• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Assembly pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning gun builders

I have a question on handling the pins holding a rifle together. Is it common practice to peen them or simply cut them short enough to recess them on both sides of the stock? Seems to me peening them would essentially eliminate taking the rile apart down the road without destroying the pin holes.

Thanks for the help

I round off the sharp edges but leave the end flat enough to get my punch in it for pin removal. A pin with a sharp edge can take out a chunk of wood when you knock it out.

I can often push my pins out with my fingers or just finger pressure on a punch. On my last rifle build the forward pin was so tight I had to hammer I out. My gun was not the best shooter and I suspected the binding pin was the problem. I plugged the pin hole and redrilled it for an easy pin removal. My rile started shooting like it should and became very accurate.

Back