• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ASTORIA by Washington Irving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ASTORIA by Washington Irving

Attachments

• 515HZ0ZA50L.jpg
    515HZ0ZA50L.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
You know, as a former Oregonian I ought to read that. I have been to the site of Fort Clatsop several times, and my brother's home looks across Young's Bay to where the Corps of Discovery wintered.

You know, as a former Oregonian I ought to read that. I have been to the site of Fort Clatsop several times, and my brother's home looks across Young's Bay to where the Corps of Discovery wintered.
Bill, The History of the PNW is a focal point for Me & 1 of the MAIN items nessasary in understanding the PNW's history= the Role the Fur Trade had in what it became !!! {IMHO}
The 2"main" players were the North West Co (NWC) [out of Montreal Can. & the Hudson Bay Co.(HBC) [out of Great Britian) * But there was a actualy a 3rd. the American Fur Co (AFC) [ owned by John Astor. The AFC functioned E. of the PNW, but in ca.1810/11, It decided push into the PNW & confront the NWC & HBC. { the book * Astoria introduces the event.
*** Note 1*** the PFC only lasted for 3 years 7 Sold every thing (Posts stock,& euip. to the NWC. { 2 (?) reasons - The NWC & HBC were "too big" of compediters & politics ( think Brits (eve of 1812))
***Note2*** Astor still was very big in the Fur Trade (AFC) He became a large political power pushing to keep GB N. of the border (the 49th P.)

The"home page I postedmay interest you.

Have Fun = Jack (aka Puffer2)

Attachments

• homepage-logo-mountain-men-fur-trade-history.png
    homepage-logo-mountain-men-fur-trade-history.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
I think this is the same book Anecdotes of an Enterprise? I'm not sure how old my book is somebody signed it in 1897.
I read this book when I was in Junior High, and it blew my mind! Still one of my favorite books.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 0
Well, thoroughly chastened by having failed to read this about the history of my own back yard, I found a copy published by Belford in 1890 on ABE books. On its way. Thank you gentlemen.
And Mowich, my man, we lived in Fircrest in the 1960s, and I took golf lessons at Meadow Park in Lakewood. It was a bit of a walk carrying clubs for a junior high kid from our house on Farallon. Oh, and I caught my first cutthroat on a fly in Mowich Lake. Have a great day, sir.

Hey Bill, the first version of Astoria was published in 1836 the book I have in the picture is a Bison book from 1982. I'm sure the book is still being printed today hopefully! Another good PNW book is Land of Giants the Drive to the Pacific Northwest 1750-1950 by David Lavender also a Bison Book 1979.
In the 1960s I grew up on a farm between Puyallup and Sumner on State Hwy 5 the north property line was the Puyallup river.
In the 1920s my grandfather was the summer ranger at Mowich until the feds figured out he was the Postmaster in Fairfax. Evidently you can't have two federal jobs at one time! The photos of Mowich are from 1/1/2024. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • mowich lake.jpg
    mowich lake.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Mowich Ranger station.jpg
    Mowich Ranger station.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • NW Rainier.jpg
    NW Rainier.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Y'all are making me homesick, sir.
Way back in the 1960s, there was a very old-fashioned store in Carbonado that had one of the best selections of penny candy I have ever seen in my life, and I loved when Dad would take us up 165 to Mowich as he would always stop at that store. If you had a dime, you had bliss. 😄

Back